Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check out this Oscilloscope

Images

Check out this Oscilloscope

Only $149, cheapest I have seen.

Low Cost Oscilloscope

Re: Check out this Oscilloscope

That's a great find! If you don't mind paying a little more you could get a PC based oscilloscope too.
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. --Carl Sagan

Images

Quote Originally Posted by archcvd View Post
    That's a great find! If you don't mind paying a little more you could get a PC based oscilloscope too.
    I'm not to fond of the PC Oscilloscopes. Its to easy to trash your computer. I ordered one of these and I should have it in a few days. I will let you know what I think when I get it.

Hmm, well say you had a USB PC Oscilloscope I think the worse you could do is destroy the unit and not the computer. I'm sure there are safeguards against probing something too hot and having it jump over the USB bus.
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. --Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Droid Works View Post
    I'm not to fond of the PC Oscilloscopes. Its to easy to trash your computer.
    I think it would depend on which model of PC Oscilloscope you have/had. They are not all the same and usually have different software. I hope you are not generalizing based on a single bad experience.

8-Dale
    I can handle complexity. It's the simple things that confound me.
    Do everything in moderation, ESPECIALLY, moderation..
    Sometimes the only way to win, is not to play.. -- Stephen Falken

Images

I had a paralax one and I accidentally cooked one of my USB ports. It was my own fault though, I wasn't paying close enough attention. Since then my preference has been a standard oscilloscope.

Any reasonably designed PC O'Scope should be decoupled. In fact, it'd be really hard to design one that wasn't (for no return).

The inexpensive O'Scope you link to there is only a 10Mhz scope. That limits its usefulness to me down to a "toy" rating. Great if you're working on AM radios or restoring your 1Mhz Vic20. . . Even trying to look at the clock on modern embedded hardware wouldn't give you much resolution with a 10x probe.

An 80-100Mhz PC-based scope (fully decoupled) can be had for a few hundred dollars. I found my Tek 7104 (1Ghz) scope used for under a thousand...

Images

I just use mine for basic hobby robotics projects so its fine for me. I cant complain for the price I paid. Work fine and I like the retro look.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid Works View Post
    I had a paralax one and I accidentally cooked one of my USB ports. It was my own fault though, I wasn't paying close enough attention. Since then my preference has been a standard oscilloscope.
    You shouldn't blame PC ocilloscopes then, if the problem was your fault. It gives people exactly the wrong ideas about products they might potentialy be interested in.

8-Dale
    I can handle complexity. It's the simple things that confound me.
    Do everything in moderation, ESPECIALLY, moderation..
    Sometimes the only way to win, is not to play.. -- Stephen Falken

Images

Be nice everyone, he was just stating a preference, not blaming products.

Thread Information