Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Robots

Linux Robots

It would be great to have a place to discuss Linux robots and things specific to Linux and Robotics. It would be nice to be alet o look in a certain place to find Linux specific Robotics stuff.

There are quite a few things being done with Linux Robotics. Look at the many universities doing Robotics - a large number of them use Linux.

This would widen Trossen Robotics' appeal.

8-Dale
    I can handle complexity. It's the simple things that confound me.
    Do everything in moderation, ESPECIALLY, moderation..
    Sometimes the only way to win, is not to play.. -- Stephen Falken

Images

Re: Linux Robots

We've thought about that more times than I can count

What prevented us from doing this in the past was that the community just wasn't big enough yet to create a Linux based Robotics forum and the we didn't have enough experience in Linux to support it by ourselves. The last thing we wanted was to have forums with tons of threads left unanswered

With all of the awesome discussions taking place recently though, I can see that with everyone's contributions it could be possible

What I was hoping to eventually do was move threads created in the Robotics General Forum over to two newly created forums:

Windows based Robotics
    Linux based Robotics

and possibly

Mac based Robotics

I'd really like to hear everyone's thoughts here so that we can determine if we have enough members to help get it started.

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Images

I would like to see a Linux community, and maybe even a subset of that be an embedded Linux community. Thats where I plan to do most of my robotics programming.

I just installed CentOS in a dual boot config on my main Windows PC.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a Mac community, but it will be a while before I get over to working with robotics on my macs (even though they both have built in bluetooth and Xcode is cool)

Another set of forums that might be useful is segregation by language. I am an open standards C programmer, and would like to get with other C programmers for things like robotics libraries, etc.

Images

I have to agree with Alex for the moment. We are really stingy about what forums we build since 40 forums with 2 posts each is bad. I would suggest to just create linux threads for now in the software forums. I could see an argument for creating an OS forum however. One where people can specifically discuss all the OS formats out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    What I was hoping to eventually do was move threads created in the Robotics General Forum over to two newly created forums:

Windows based Robotics
    Linux based Robotics

and possibly

Mac based Robotics
    I don't really think you need a Windows Robotics forum, since pretty much everything here is already Windows based. I somewhat out of place here because I do not want to use Windows for my robots. I have left one community, so you will find me being here much more from now now.

The new Macs have UNIX under the hood, so might be (initially at least) combined in a Linux forums section.

You have a much wider product range, including several things I really want to explore and tinker with at some point.

Much of the same things that apply to Linux, other than GUI related stuff, will also apply to the new Macs, which have Darwin under the hood. I don't know if the new Macs can actually run GNU software though, so none of my comments may apply.

8-Dale

Images

hmm.... I could always create a PC based robotics forum and add thread prefixes to only that forum:

Linux
    Embedded Linux
    Windows
    Mac

That way, we only create one forum for focusing directly on PC based robotics and each thread inside this forum will be identified by their thread prefix...

Thoughts?

Linux or Mac peeps, is it cool to use the term "PC Based Robotics" for the title of the forum? If not, got any better suggestions to encompass all areas of OS's?

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Sienna View Post
    I would like to see a Linux community, and maybe even a subset of that be an embedded Linux community. Thats where I plan to do most of my robotics programming.
    It's too bad more forum software can't do sub-boards like SMF can. Then you could have a whole section devoted to Linux, with threads and sub-threads. I run SMF on my forums, but I don't see them ever being very active.

I just installed CentOS in a dual boot config on my main Windows PC.
    I am currently running Kubuntu (KDE version of Ubuntu) here, dual booted with Windows XP for those time I need it (Alibre Design Expert 3D CAD, Programming PICs/dsPICs, some multi-media (Vongo, etc), and WoW when my account is active).

I have found Kubuntu to work with much more multi-media stuff than any other distro I have run (all the majors, CentOS, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Debian, Fedora). I still prefer Gentoo thoguh, because it is more like FreeBSD (Oh, I have also run FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD). My server runs Debian 4.0 and is online 24/7. I just need a power supply and case and I can build my third PC which will be Linux/UNIX only, to experiment with and eventually be a user box only so I can give this one completely over to Windows XP. I've been running Linux/UNIX since Linux Kernel 0.98.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a Mac community, but it will be a while before I get over to working with robotics on my macs (even though they both have built in bluetooth and Xcode is cool)
    If the kind of Mac I would be happy with wasn't so expensive, I would love to have one.

Another set of forums that might be useful is segregation by language. I am an open standards C programmer, and would like to get with other C programmers for things like robotics libraries, etc.
    It's true that a C/C++ forum would be useful, with OS specific things being covered in the specific OS forum. Pyhon is also a very popular language for Robotics (PyRo and MyRo are written in Python.

I will eventually be using PyRo to control W.A.L.T.E.R. I already have a Python based IRC bot working in stock configuration, and will be integrating that into the control software for W.A.L.T.E.R. I will also be integrating a web framework such as DJango or other. I'm hoping to have W.A.L.T.E.R. fully operational with Hammer and Python before the Linux Plumber's Conference in September in Portland (I live in Beaverton, about 20 miles away).

8-Dale

Images

It's too bad more forum software can't do sub-boards like SMF can. Then you could have a whole section devoted to Linux, with threads and sub-threads. I run SMF on my forums, but I don't see them ever being very active.
    ??

It is possible, at least with our forums, to create forums within forums. It just doesn't look that pretty and it clutters things up. We've tried it in the past, and are not big fans of creating subforums. Thread Prefixes really help this out because you can create a single forum dedicated to many different topics and sort by the thread prefix and date to see the latest threads with that prefix

- Charles Darwin

hmm.... I could always create a PC based robotics forum and add thread prefixes to only that forum:

Linux
    Embedded Linux
    Windows
    Mac

That way, we only create one forum for focusing directly on PC based robotics and each thread inside this forum will be identified by their thread prefix...
    The only problem I see with this is that Embedded Systems are very different from PC based systems. It's really a whole different world. You can't build an embedded system (any OS or no OS at all) using the same methods used to build a PC based system. Embedded really is a whole different world, whether used for robotics, animatronics, process control, or other uses.

Linux or Mac peeps, is it cool to use the term "PC Based Robotics" for the title of the forum? If not, got any better suggestions to encompass all areas of OS's?
    The only real division is between PC based and Embedded systems. It's not an OS or even processor specific division. Often, embedded systems and devices are created using System-On-Chip processors that have all, or at least most, of what is needed for a given application. You can not treat these types of systems the same way you do PC based systems. The upcoming TinCanTools Hammer-RDP, which has just started its development cycle is a good example - Full Linux (kernel 2.6.x), 32 MB RAM, 16 MB Flash, Samsung S3C2410 ARM9 processor). The Hammer Board is what I am using for the new MCP (Master Control Processor) for W.A.L.T.E.R.

I am not an employee of TinCanTools or any other company.

8-Dale

It is possible, at least with our forums, to create forums within forums. It just doesn't look that pretty and it clutters things up. We've tried it in the past, and are not big fans of creating subforums. Thread Prefixes really help this out because you can create a single forum dedicated to many different topics and sort by the thread prefix and date to see the latest threads with that prefix
    I like the thread prefix scheme, which works really well in most cases. It just doesn't work with respect to PC based systems and Embedded Systems. Embedded Systems (or whatever you might want to call them) needs a whole different forum catagory.

8-Dale

Thread Information