Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions about Bioloid - Buyers Guide

Images

Talking Questions about Bioloid - Buyers Guide

EDIT BY ALEX: Moved posts from Bioloid 2DOF thread into this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Wingzero01w View Post
    wow seeing things like this is really making me have a hard time deciding between a robonova and bioloid... i would love to get them both but i can only get 1 ... bioloid has been getting alot of neat mods lately but robonova keeps coming back to haunt me with the mods that are being done to it also. I guess what im looking for is the best educational and expandable robot of them both.

I would say the Bioloid is is MUCH higher on the expansion scale, seeing as though its modular. You also get serial, stronger, and feedback capable servos.
    Last edited by Alex; 04-08-2008 at 03:20 PM.

Talking Questions about Bioloid - Buyers Guide

Thanks tyberius, but how is the education part of it compared to the robonova- Does it teach more/easier to learn?

Images

Re: Bioloid with 2 DOF Waist

Well I don't own one (yet), but in my opinion its all around better than a robonova. As far as education, look at it this way- it's reconfigurable. With a single bioloid kit, you can reconfigure it to be a hexapod, quadrapod, wheeled bot, various bipeds, a 6+ axis arm, etc. It also comes with a range/sound sensor unit, and a GUI program interface for autonomous programs and 'pose and capture' sequencing software.

The robonova is sort of a one trick pony. It's a humanoid, but not nearly as flexible in construction- it's servos arent as strong and dont provide the same level of feedback. If you're looking for JUST a humanoid, and something to compete with, you might look at a Kondo or something along those lines...but between a bioloid and robonova its a clear choice for me.

Images

Wing! Glad to see you on these boards as well. To answer your question, I think it's all relative. You can just about learn with any of the robot kits out there... My first learning was from the Lego Mindstorm RIS 2.0 kit. One of the engineering classes I took covered real-time OS in an embedded environment, so it involved the Mindstorm Brick with a language called Esterel(?). I think more then software, I learned more on mechanical creation since when I finished the programming tasks, I ended up modifying the default tracked rover by reducing parts (less weight) and still come up with the same, if not stronger, structural integrity.

I think once you buy your first biped, your $$$ investment will drive you to learn more and more about the bot, more then just the canned moves...

----------------------

Getting back to the subject, Alpha's Bioloid is sweeeeeet! That thing looks awesome. I remember seeing the earlier Bioloid Humanoids with a waist configuration like that since it came with an extra AX-12+. I guess he married the waist rotate with the "bow" configuration to get a pan-and-tilt effect...

I'm glad to see more and more Bioloid Videos on youtube.
    ---
    Sleep? You don't need sleep...

---

5. Re: Bioloid with 2 DOF Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Tyberius View Post
    Well I don't own one (yet), but in my opinion its all around better than a robonova.
    Hello,

I have both and I would say that the Robonova is the better humanoid robot, but that you can make more with less effert with the Bioloid.

I also think that both are ok in their basic format, but both companies should put more effert into supplying a robot that already comes with things like cameras, grippers and more developed programs. Basically it if fun to develop stuff like that yourself, however, it seems to me like I am more or less re-inventing the wheel instead of really developing something new.

Asbrandsson

Images

Quote Originally Posted by asbrandsson View Post
    Hello,

I have both and I would say that the Robonova is the better humanoid robot, but that you can make more with less effert with the Bioloid.
    Asbrandsson
    Could you elaborate why you think the Robonova is better? I don't own either, but have done extensive research in making my choice as to what kit to buy next... Bioloid just seems better all around. It's cheaper, reconfigurable, and the servos are stronger.

Hey-

I agree with Tom, you can learn from any robot kit you buy, but it comes down to what you want to do with your robot. The Bioloid might be the most flexible (just look at Alpha video), but I see no mention of the KHR-2HV which is a well rounded kit (especially for competition).

Well the two main factors of the robot i want to buy would be what i learn from it - but when i say this i mean what will i learn from it that will help me in future robots/mods. The second factor would be the number of things you can do to modify it. Im only looking to build a humanoid, any other robot i make will be coming from lynxmotion parts and such.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RKM83 View Post
    Hey-

I agree with Tom, you can learn from any robot kit you buy, but it comes down to what you want to do with your robot. The Bioloid might be the most flexible (just look at Alpha video), but I see no mention of the KHR-2HV which is a well rounded kit (especially for competition).

If you're looking for JUST a humanoid, and something to compete with, you might look at a Kondo or something along those lines...but between a bioloid and robonova its a clear choice for me.

Do you own a Kondo btw? I'm curious about the expansion capabilities of them.

10. Re: Bioloid with 2 DOF Waist

Could you elaborate why you think the Robonova is better? I don't own either, but have done extensive research in making my choice as to what kit to buy next... Bioloid just seems better all around. It's cheaper, reconfigurable, and the servos are stronger.
    Hello,

It is hard to explain and really see when you are looking at the Robonova humanoid and the bioloid humanoid. But the Robonova is designed to just be a humanoid robot - so things like tilt sensors and gyros are in the expansion loop as add ons. With Bioloid there is no gyro you have to just program the walking or running motion to make them work smoothly, even the blue tooth module has to be soldered together, and in order to use the actual high end servos you have to replace the mother board with a different one.

I agree that the servos are stronger - which is kind of a piss off with Robonova as once you start to upgrade you realize that the servos will blow if you do not replace them with better ones. But the brackets are made of alum not plastic so they are a lot stronger and less frustrating. The whole thing with the nut and screw is totally frustrating for me, I have spent more time screwing around with screws then enjoying the robot.

Bioloid uses a double bracket system where one group of servos is doubled up, which is hard to explain without having one. Robonova servos are stacked in a very linier way, but they do not have complete rotation which is frustrating when it comes to the shoulders.

I am also the kind of person that does not really care about the re-configureable part. If I want a robot dog I will buy an Aibo. Bioloid kits are really made for teaching kids about robots starting off with a very simple robot and then ending up with a humanoid robot at the end of the classes.

My main thing is making Humanoid Robots - I think that it is very much like making that Johnny five robot. You wanted to make it and you have - now you have added some upgrades and what not, but are you going to make a different project that is more advanced with the knowledge that you have gained or are you going to take him apart and make a dog or spider out of it?

Asbrandsson

Thread Information