Thread: servo control?

servo control?

Well now that im all up and interested in the bioloid, ive already started planning for some of my future projects.

But right now... i have a few questions

1.) i never was really a fan of being left to one controller such as the Cm5 for the dynamixel... well i was wonder if it would be possible to control it with a BS2(insert model) or a basic atom. But, i dont want to only control the servo, but also get its reliable feedback. If anybody got any ideas on how this could be done, i'd be more than willing to try.

2.) well, if question #1 has an answer that has something to do with "its possible", then would it also be possible to not only control the bioloid, but also control other servos with it such as hitec, futuba, etc.

well thats it for now, any answers would be highly highly appreciated.

Also if this could not work with supplied products by distributers, would it be possible to make a homebrew pcb for this?

Thanks!

Images

Re: servo control?

Hey There

There is the USB2Dynamixel which Robotis was kind enough to make for the development community. The awesome crew over at CrustCrawler has made some libraries and software to help communicate with the bioloid stuff as well. Dig through the Software and Drivers section on the AX-12 Smart Arm page.

Speaking of homebrew stuff for the Bioloid; The ever brilliant, ever prolific, ever productive, never sleeping Jon Hylands has made all kinds of fun Bioloid accessories. We will carry these here soon or you can run across the boarder like a draft dodging traitor and buy them direct

Hope this helps!

Thanks Matt,

The accessories sound useful, but sadly i havent a clue how to use them. As it seems, the products you showed look like they could definitely help me with my project, but other than that, it still leaves the big question of how i could do the control with the stamps in my previous post. As soon as i make/get this [stamp] module to control dynamixels with a basic stamp, ill use those products to expand what ive done.

I just figuered by doing something like this myself, i might be able to gain alot of info on electronics and programming.

Maybe Jon might have some imput on this?
    Last edited by Wingzero01w; 04-10-2008 at 09:39 PM.

Images

What are your skills and what kind of programming do you want to do? That will help people give advice. Being a CS guy myself I guess I jumped the gun and gave you advice for hooking up to a computer. Which of course doesn't help much if you want to stay on chips, LOL.

I don't know about basic stamps very much or how open the bioloid protocols are. But I do think that they have been published.

Well to answer your question, programming is pretty streightforward to me in some languages so i really have no problem learning them, just remembering. Though electroniclly... not so much... As far as doing it myself, ill probably end up destroying something. Though, if i was givin advice on what to connect to what ports and such, i have no problem whatsoever.

6. Re: servo control?

To use a Basic Stamp to talk to an AX-12, your best bet would be to connect it to a CM-5's serial port and talk to the bus in bypass mode. I don't know what speed the BS2 can do over serial, but it you can do 57,600 they you're good to go that route. The interface board I sell is meant to be used from a single-board-computer or PC that has USB host, and it gets you a full speed (1.0 Mbps) connection to the bus directly without needing the CM-5.

If you're using an AVR with a hardware UART, and can program it more or less directly, you can talk to the bus directly (without even needing any glue circuitry).

- Jon

7. Re: servo control?

If you want to spend a few bucks ($80) on the Parallax Propeller the guys at Crustcrawler created a driver that allows you to use your STAMP to control the AX-12 bus.

http://www.crustcrawler.com/electron...2021.49%5D.zip

Thread Information