Thread: RoboCam - A Telepresence Robot

1. Honorablemention RoboCam - A Telepresence Robot

I recently completed construction of RoboCam which is my web-based telepresence camera platform built on the iRobot Create. Using a web browser, RoboCam can be remotely controlled from any location that has internet access. A simple set of web controls and a live video feed allow you to drive RoboCam around as though you were actually there. When you’re done exploring you simply drive back to within the vicinity of the recharging station and press Dock. Using the built-in docking capability the Create will automatically maneuver and dock itself. Once the Create has docked the station it will recharge completely depleted batteries in less than three hours. In order for the user to keep an eye on the RoboCam’s health the robot can send back telemetry. This includes battery capacity, temperature, voltage, and current drain which are displayed in the web browser.

I posted a video of RoboCam in action on YouTube. It is taken from the point of view of the remote user and shows the web based user interface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Ap9V2ICag

The Create provides all the necessary sensors and docking/charging capabilities. It uses the built-in cliff and bumper sensors to protect itself from falling down stairs and avoiding objects. For distance measuring a Ping is used. This complemented the Create’s own sensors and provided a less violent method of detecting objects as opposed to the way the Create does it by crashing into it first and then sensing it with a bumper switch. Like many of my robots the Propeller chip was used as the main controller.

Most of RoboCam’s components are mounted in or on a 10 x 8 electronics case (Jameco #18877) mounted onto the Create’s four hard points located around the cargo bay. It is mounted slightly forward to keep the Create’s center of gravity over its main driving wheels. Two voltage regulators were used to reduce the Create’s 14.4 volt battery down to 12 volts for the camera and 9 volts for the electronics.

RoboCam uses an off the shelf Panasonic Wireless Network Camera (BL-C30A) for video. This keeps the design simple and eliminates the need to get into complex streaming video. Optionally audio could be included by selecting a more advanced (and more expensive) model. As an added bonus, the camera’s built-in pan and scan allow you to look from the floor to the ceiling and nearly 180 degrees from left to right.

The camera is mounted on top of a 10 inch Linear Actuator available from ServoCity. The actuator extends from 15 to 25 inches at about ½ inch per second. The actuator is mounted inside a 2 inch piece of PVC pipe which is mounted on top of the electronics enclosure using PVC shower drains as attach points. Try explaining that to the plumbing guy at Home Depot. Including the height of the Create and the enclosure box, this gives the camera’s height above the floor of about 27 inches with an extended height of 37 inches. Although it works in any position, it is best to have the mount fully retracted for docking. This lowers the center of gravity and makes for a more gentle docking experience.

I added a laser pointer to aid in depth perception and steering. It is focused 3 feet in front of the bumper. It’s amazing how this helps with depth perception when driving RoboCam from the web. It is mounted in a leftover video camera mount that I had on hand.

To establish the connection between the RoboCam and the Internet a separate web server using the PINK (Parallax Internet Netburner Kit) is used. Using a Parallax Propeller chip, commands from the remote web user are received by the PINK and are then transmitted to the RoboCam using a pair of Parallax 912 MHz wireless transceivers.

RoboCam could be used for serious applications like security, summer home monitoring and even elder care but I’m currently using it for something far more important. I use it to check up on our cat while we are on vacation!

I attached a couple of photos and a system diagram. I posted more details on my personal web site.
    Last edited by norris56; 04-24-2008 at 09:10 AM.
    Steve Norris
    www.norrislabs.com

Images

Re: RoboCam - A Telepresence Robot

Nice work Steve I got you entered into this round.

Thanks for the diagram too. I was having a little bit of a hard time understanding the "geeky" details till I looked through that.

The other cool feature is the addition of a telescoping neck. The camera can be positioned anywhere from 24 to 36 inches above the floor. I used a 12v linear actuator from Servo City.
    Cool indeed! That is an awesome, yet incredibly simple use of a linear actuator. Which actuator did you use from Servo? How are you controlling it?

Just to clarify, does Robocam have object recognition or was that an overlay in the video?

Also, do you have any closer shots of the box (and inside shots of it, we looove geeky stuff like that)? I'm trying to figure out what that black thing is mounted on the corner.

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

3. Re: RoboCam - A Telepresence Robot

Thanks, Alex,

Im using the 10 (HDA10.00) linear servo. This gives me the height range I was looking for. I needed to add a guide (you can see it in the pictures) due to the fact that the shaft has a tendency to rotate as it extends.

No, there is no object recognition in the Roomba. I added those comments when I edited the video. The Panasonic network camera has no connection to the Roomba other than for power.

Ive attached a few more pictures. The black thing in the corner is the laser guide. Its a laser module mounted in a leftover video camera mount that I had on hand. I focus the lasers dot three feet in front of the robot. You can see it in the video. It helps with depth perception.
    Steve Norris
    www.norrislabs.com

Images

Gotcha! Thanks for the explanations Steve

Man, this project just looks so slick and polished! Have you thought of selling it commercially?

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

5. Re: RoboCam - A Telepresence Robot

Thanks, again, Alex

Yes, I've thought about it but I doubt I could compete (even though I think I have a much more robust solution) with the iRobot ConnectR or the WooWee Rovio.
    Steve Norris
    www.norrislabs.com

Where did you get that project box? Looks useful!
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. --Carl Sagan

7. Re: RoboCam - A Telepresence Robot

I got the project box from Jameco Electronics (www.jameco.com) and the part number is 18877.
    Steve Norris
    www.norrislabs.com

Images

Very nice project Norris56 well documented.
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

9. Re: RoboCam - A Telepresence Robot

Very nice work, any project that includes telepresence is very unique to work with, good stuff on the details as well.
    Greatness is achieved through one vision.

Thread Information