Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Site for Old School Robots

Images

Site for Old School Robots

I just found a kick ass site that I thought I'd share with the community. It has a sweet collection of old school robots from the 80's and 90's:

http://www.theoldrobots.com/

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Re: Site for Old School Robots

WooHoo! The Armatron 2364 is represented.

You know, it was an amazing piece of engineering work. I tore my apart after about [cough] two days - and it had a single motor with a gearbox allowing for 5DOF + gripper [as memory serves].

Weak as a newborn kitten with all that gearing and a single little hobby motor, but still an insanely cool design.

Then you look at the DC-1 by Android - 200lbs with a Vic20 driving the darned thing, built in 9" television. That was the height of cool there!

Images

I wanted a Hero or a Max Steele so bad when I was a kid lol

I recall having a few of those Tomy robots though

The Hero was awesome in that it was a [near] totally open platform in a world of ego-maniacal twits that thought they would rule the world as long as no one else could build onto their code/hardware/system. The hero, obviously, prevailed along with its siblings-in-cause, and that's the reason we had a PC Revolution instead of a PC-Fizzle.

Other than Apple (which I really don't classify as a computer company anymore), are there any of the "completely closed platform, no go away" computer-co's left?

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    The Hero was awesome in that it was a [near] totally open platform in a world of ego-maniacal twits that thought they would rule the world as long as no one else could build onto their code/hardware/system. The hero, obviously, prevailed along with its siblings-in-cause, and that's the reason we had a PC Revolution instead of a PC-Fizzle.

Other than Apple (which I really don't classify as a computer company anymore), are there any of the "completely closed platform, no go away" computer-co's left?
    NVIDIA is having a hard time releasing open-source versions of the video drivers despite much public outcry. Enterprising developers have already created their own (albeit limited) open source drivers for the video cards so it's only really a matter of time for someone to backwards engineer for any other closed platform (I love my jailbroken iPhone! hehe).

I think open-source will always leave a bad leftist-commie taste in corporations that embody the complete anti-thesis of the concept.

Edit:

Oh jeez, sorry for hijacking the thread!

Alex, I really enjoyed that website! I'm a big fan of the 80s robot esthetic... Great place for ideas!
    Last edited by archcvd; 04-22-2008 at 12:39 PM.
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. --Carl Sagan

Thanks Alex! That site gave me warm fuzzies from the days of Topo! Big hair and bigger robots.

Images

I still have my hero-1 ...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Droid Works View Post
    I still have my hero-1 ...lol

*gasp*

Would that happen to be a picture for... Oh I dunno... An auction somewhere?!
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. --Carl Sagan

Images

It shouldn't be. I'm not selling it...lol

One can hope, haha. Yours looks to be in great condition!

Thread Information