Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to mount phidgets?

1. How to mount phidgets?

Phidgets are an awesome concept, but most of the demos I see are all of non-mobile robots. If I were to do something similar to SRV-1, is this possible using Phidgets? What is the best way to mount phidgets? Can I use say the stinger or trekker chassis to mount phidgets - are they 'compatible'?

Are there any demos of mobile bots made with phidgets anyone's aware of? (Checked youtube, couldn't find any).

thanks a bunch!

Images

Re: How to mount phidgets?

Hi

The SRV-1 or stinger are probably a bit small for phidgets. To use phidgets you will need a computer onboard with a power source to run it so a somewhat larger chassis is more ideal. We do have two videos worth looking at:

Hope this helps some.

Just from the hands-on camp - the Phidgets have through-holes. You can run down to Lowes or Home Depot, for example, and in the small-parts drawers in the Hardware section, you can get standoffs of various size and length and construction (nylon, metal, etc). If you can wedge it in there physically, the standoffs are the mounting method of choice, imho.

The SRV1 is waaaaay too small to do much more with, although I'd consider building a trailer, ala BigTrack, and hauling my processing around with me, if I wanted to go the SRV1 direction.

Images

uh... Matt, I don't believe Zack was asking if he could mount Phidgets on an SRV-1:

Can I use say the stinger or trekker chassis to mount phidgets - are they 'compatible'?
    I'm not too sure about a trekker (one of these? http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop...y.asp?catid=20), but yes, Zack, you can use a Stinger no problem to mount Phidgets. Just remember that PHidgets need to be connected to a computer to run. We're really huge fans of ITX boards here which has a very small footprint, can run Windows and has the USB ports you need

The battery for the ITX board will have to be on board too though (as Matt mentioned), so keep that in mind. I'm sure you can find some batteries that will fit inside of the Stinger though
    Last edited by Alex; 04-17-2008 at 09:00 AM.

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I'm not too sure about a trekker (one of these? http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop...y.asp?catid=20), but yes, Zack, you can use a Stinger no problem to mount Phidgets. Just remember that PHidgets need to be connected to a computer to run. We're really huge fans of ITX boards here which has a very small footprint, can run Windows and has the USB ports you need
    I've been looking more seriously at Phidgets also. I'm interested in the interface 8/8/8 kit with the LCD. I'd be using it with the Hammer Board, which has two USB ports (host or slave) running off a battery supply. Would this be enough to power phidgets? I'd probably have to compile the api/library for ARM9 to make it all work.

8-Dale
    I can handle complexity. It's the simple things that confound me.
    Do everything in moderation, ESPECIALLY, moderation..
    Sometimes the only way to win, is not to play.. -- Stephen Falken

6. Re: How to mount phidgets?

Quote Originally Posted by zack View Post
    What is the best way to mount phidgets? Can I use say the stinger or trekker chassis to mount phidgets - are they 'compatible'?
    Depends on how you define "compatible." These platforms don't come pre-drilled with the specific hole patterns of the Phidget devices, but each Phidget's spec sheet has the outside dimensions and mounting hole dimensions. So, at least you'll know how much space you'll need and where to drill.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    Just from the hands-on camp - the Phidgets have through-holes. You can run down to Lowes or Home Depot, for example, and in the small-parts drawers in the Hardware section, you can get standoffs of various size and length and construction (nylon, metal, etc). If you can wedge it in there physically, the standoffs are the mounting method of choice, imho.
    Thanks for mentioning this. Phidgets has started providing screws, nuts, and nylon standoffs with most of their controllers and I/O boards, but not all of them. For now, assume that you'll have to get the mounting hardware separately.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    The SRV1 is waaaaay too small to do much more with
    But, the Blackfin board they use looks like a good all-around controller. You can hook up heavier-duty motor controllers to it if you want to use it with a beefier platform.

Quote Originally Posted by robotguy View Post
    I've been looking more seriously at Phidgets also. I'm interested in the interface 8/8/8 kit with the LCD. I'd be using it with the Hammer Board, which has two USB ports (host or slave) running off a battery supply. Would this be enough to power phidgets? I'd probably have to compile the api/library for ARM9 to make it all work.
    The Hammer runs some sort of stripped-down Linux, right? You should be able to use the Linux code that Phidgets provides. Don't quote me on that though.

As far as power goes, it should be fine. The Phidget devices themselves consume very little power, and the ones that don't draw all of their power from the USB (such as the TextLCD) will run on anything from 6-12 volts.
    New to the TR Community? Feel free to introduce yourself and show off your projects!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    But, the Blackfin board they use looks like a good all-around controller. You can hook up heavier-duty motor controllers to it if you want to use it with a beefier platform.
    Yes, indeed, although I think it is somewhat cripped due to lack of flash. I would rather see something in the neighborhood of at least 64 MB Flash and 128 MB RAM for a Blackfin board like this.

The Hammer runs some sort of stripped-down Linux, right? You should be able to use the Linux code that Phidgets provides. Don't quote me on that though.
    Hammer runs full Linux, kernel series 2.6.* with many of the same packages as a PC Linux would run. It's just a matter of porting whatever new packages are needed into Buildroot and making the necessary modifications to cross compile it.

As far as power goes, it should be fine. The Phidget devices themselves consume very little power, and the ones that don't draw all of their power from the USB (such as the TextLCD) will run on anything from 6-12 volts.
    I'm glad to hear this. I have been running a USB WiFi adapter and a 2GB Thumb Drive with Hammer without any problems. I am anxions to get my hands on the first Hammer-RDP boards also.

8-Dale

Yes it does - and I actually have a not-too-distant project planned for it. I want to keep an eye on the dog when I'm traveling, so I was trying to come up with a design that could easily traverse the stairs AND not get eaten by the puppy when it starts following him.

It dawned on me that a dirigible is the perfect platform for this application.

The Blackfin appears light, compact, powerful, supports wireless easily, and supported natively in Roborealm - which I want to use to interface to some SLAM ideas I've had...

There's definitely a place for it. I'm just not sure that the SRV is as flexible as I'd personally want a platform to be. But to each their own - the price is surely right!

Images

Love the video's guys, Oh what a neat job you all have, wish I could join ya.
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

Just remember that PHidgets need to be connected to a computer to run. We're really huge fans of ITX boards here which has a very small footprint, can run Windows and has the USB ports you need
    Phidgets can hopefully be used with Hammer also, which has two USB Host/Slave ports.

The battery for the ITX board will have to be on board too though (as Matt mentioned), so keep that in mind. I'm sure you can find some batteries that will fit inside of the Stinger though
    I'm looking at batteries that might be used to power a small Hammer based system now, for my RSR project.

8-Dale

Thread Information