Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 6DOF SES Biped Leg

Arrow New 6DOF SES Biped

I've designed a brand new 6DOF SES Biped leg. This leg design might even make it possible for an SES Biped to compete in RoboOne and other Biped type competitions. I have not designed arms yet, but I have designed a body for the full Biped.

Standing:

Fully Crouched:

I think these two pictures show the flexibility of this design. Soon, I will have a complete 3D model of the entire body and legs. Arms will follow at some point as soon as I design them. The hips, knees, and angles are fully double jointed.

8-Dale
    Last edited by LinuxGuy; 04-26-2008 at 07:13 PM. Reason: To make images smaller
    I can handle complexity. It's the simple things that confound me.
    Do everything in moderation, ESPECIALLY, moderation..
    Sometimes the only way to win, is not to play.. -- Stephen Falken

Re: New 6DOF SES Biped Leg

Hmm back to this subject again? The only concern i would have with that design is the stability... im worried that the legs would be too tall to support the body unless that as well is big. I would like a design like that but i want the whole ankle/hip on the same axis... this has worked good for bioloid and others and should work with more.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingzero01w View Post
    Hmm back to this subject again?
    What do you mean by this? I am detecting some negativity here.

The only concern i would have with that design is the stability... im worried that the legs would be too tall to support the body unless that as well is big.
    You have not seen the body design yet, so it is impossible to speculate on stability at this point. It's much too early to worry about this sort of thing. I presented this design as a new leg design only to show what the possibilities are and how flexible this design can be. I've incorporated quite a few new things into this design, including the double knee joint he designed for the Robonova.

I would like a design like that but i want the whole ankle/hip on the same axis... this has worked good for bioloid and others and should work with more.
    There are always other ways to accomplish something. Just because one method works, doesn't mean other methods can't work just as well or maybe even better. It's far too easy to get stuck in rut and only want to stay with what is already known to work, even if it does work very well.

It's possible I won't bother finishing the design.

8-Dale

O sorry i didnt mean to give off a negative feeling to my post . And i remember discussing this topic awhile back in the lynxmotion forum with you.

Sorry i was skeptical about the leg design at first... i guess i was jumping off into conclusions.
    Good design, though ive tried to make some leg designs but ive always failed at it completely.

Images

Those fold up nicely. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your design.

PS: Any chance you can shrink the pics you post some. They are breaking the forum frames pretty badly. For people not on 19,989x17,456 pixel monitors they are a bit much

Images

"We're going to need a bigger monitor"

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Those fold up nicely. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your design.
    I have to create the model of the right leg, body, and design some arms. I've never designed arms for a biped before, but I have some ideas.. Brackets for the left leg and body are already assembled. It's the cost of servos that keep me from building most of my designs though, and I suspect I would need some beefy ones for this design.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    PS: Any chance you can shrink the pics you post some. They are breaking the forum frames pretty badly. For people not on 19,989x17,456 pixel monitors they are a bit much
    Yes, I can (and usually do) that. I don't know why I didn't do it with these. Can gallery pictures be replaced without changing the link?

8-Dale

Good design, though ive tried to make some leg designs but ive always failed at it completely.
    Thanks.

What about your designs makes you think they would fail?

8-Dale

Images

M'mmmm I look on with interest robotguy, keep those designs coming.
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

Images

Yes, I can (and usually do) that. I don't know why I didn't do it with these. Can gallery pictures be replaced without changing the link?
    Sure can! Actually, kind of a "silent" rule of thumb is to not use the image button () in the toolbar, but use the Manage Attachments button in the Advanced Editor under "Additional Options":

Attachment 243

This will physically upload your image to our server. You can upload an image either by using a URL, or uploading from your computer.

Also, (if you use the Manage Attachments feature) to specify where you want the image to show up in your post, simply put your cursor in the spot where you want the image to show up, click the Paperclick Icon () and select your image from the dropdown.

What's really cool about uploading images using the manage attachment feature is that it'll automatically create a thumbnail image for you and when someone clicks on it, it will bring up a really cool looking Attachment Viewing Lightbox (see this thread for an example).

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Thread Information