Thread: XM540

XM540

So, who has put the XM-540 through its paces yet?
    http://www.robotis.us/dynamixel-xm540-w150-r/
    Seems like a slight upgrade over the MX-64, but also a noticeable price hike!
    Also, for legs and knees, the slower/stronger version seems nice:
    http://www.robotis.us/dynamixel-xm540-w270-r/

Re: XM540

Also, if anyone has actually built anything with the XL430, that'd be interesting, too.
    If TechShop hadn't closed, I could have upgraded the Money Pit rover to use those for steering ...

Images

Is Money Pit locked out of reach at TechShop, or just the tools to upgrade it?

grue has been rapidly growing the last few weeks and think I've finally settled on the design enough to start cutting my limited stock of steel angle. No longer able to cut an entire chassis from just two 6' lengths of angle or fit the assembled bot entirely within a 27 gallon HD tote, but should be a super sturdy chassis and highly flexible/upgradeable platform. Does still fit within a EUR6 (600mm x 800mm; ~24"x~32") pallet and all the chassis pieces can be cut from 10' lengths with little wasted steel. A fancier design with four wheel drive, four wheel steering, and double wishbone suspension would require unbolting the drive modules from the ends of the chassis and rotating 90 degrees to fit inside the EUR6 pallet footprint for shipping and/or long-term storage.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

Code:
    Is Money Pit locked out of reach at TechShop, or just the tools to upgrade it?
    "Just" the tools. And the lifetime membership I had ... (ouch!)
    I wish I had enough garage space to put at least a mini-mill in, but that's not looking like it can happen :-(

Steel, huh? I assume you're welding with a $99 Harbor Freight stick weld special? Or anything fancier?

Images

Stick weld yes, but hopefully something even crappier than a harbor freight stick welder: repurposed transformer from a 600W APC UPS. Unemployed and just lost $1700 to a leaking Honda CR-V power steering rack.

While picking up some cheap paint brushes on Friday for using with Citristrip to remove the worthless oil paint off of the bathroom woodwork, I learned something unexpected : HF sells powder coat equipment and pigment.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

repurposed transformer from a 600W APC UPS
    Really, why give HF any money at all? I like it!

Thread Information