Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Track Bot parts

1. Track Bot parts

Hi all,

I want to build a track bot that will follow me wherever I go. I have the big picture in mind; I am starting to iron out the details.

I am interested in this chassis:

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store...ssis-Only.aspx

My question is what other motor related parts will I need to get to get a differentially steerable track bot?

Re: Track Bot parts

I don't think the chassis you're looking at is a "follow you wherever you go" kinda chassis. Unless you go really slow over flat ground without obstacles larger than a few tenths of an inch.

Can you define your "big picture" better. You're not actually thinking about walking down the street, over curbs, up stairs, anything like that, right?

3. Re: Track Bot parts

The bigger picture is that I will build a Laundry Bot (to carry my load) with bigger tracks that will use the successful firmware I would have developed on this scaled track.

For now, I want this to follow me as I walk down the corridor of my office.

I would suggest looking at something larger. These are very small and very limited. I first looked at them for Robocross. They use the tiny little plastic tamiya gear box motors, as memory serves.

Images

You probably want something more like this for tracks: http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store...-21-Links.aspx

Unless money is no object then you want this:
    http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store...-Tracked-.aspx

6. Re: Track Bot parts

Well, money is an object! The first link is only of the tracks. Where could I find a chassis to wrap it around?

Look at the bottom of that page for "related items" and you'll find the sprockets and the idler. From there, you'll start looking at the motors and motor controllers.

Please save yourself some additional pain, and avoid the Traxster.

What is your budget for the base portion, btw?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinmudigonda View Post
    Well, money is an object! The first link is only of the tracks. Where could I find a chassis to wrap it around?
    You could buy a piece of aluminum, a couple motors and other odds and ends to make one your self or. buy a pre made one like this: http://www.lynxmotion.com/Product.as...CategoryID=109

9. Re: Track Bot parts

Thanks for those leads, guys. This community really is worth the time. I was wondering how to figure this stuff by myself.

Well, I have a PIC board and few PICs lying around here at work. So I figured about 100-200$ should do for a small prototype 'bot. I just wanted to get back to Bot firmware development and I thought this would be a cool project to start from. I work at a place where if a "product" is sufficiently innovative (or marketable), I could beg for some more money to make it happen. But for now, I am on my own.

Maybe, this is the time to learn to use the CNC machine the Aero-boys have been bragging about!

Another question I have: To control the motor, won't I need some sort of encoder?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinmudigonda View Post
    Thanks for those leads, guys. This community really is worth the time. I was wondering how to figure this stuff by myself.

Well, I have a PIC board and few PICs lying around here at work. So I figured about 100-200$ should do for a small prototype 'bot. I just wanted to get back to Bot firmware development and I thought this would be a cool project to start from. I work at a place where if a "product" is sufficiently innovative (or marketable), I could beg for some more money to make it happen. But for now, I am on my own.

Maybe, this is the time to learn to use the CNC machine the Aero-boys have been bragging about!

Another question I have: To control the motor, won't I need some sort of encoder?
    Allot of us own our own CNC machines they have really come down in price. If your ever in the market for one this is a pretty good deal.This is the one I use :
    http://www.sherlinedirect.com/index....Product_ID=185

Thread Information