Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: servo phidget

1. servo phidget

Hi
    i want to use a servo-phidget (last picture) with a niKKo car
    but there are several problems
    i can plug the 2 wires of the servo phidget (orange-red) to others wires on the car, the wheels will turn to the max ot the motor will accelerate to max also, i can't switch on/off with the servo methods (in Java or C#)
    this is probably due to the car motor, so i can either change the car motor or
    as somone in phidgets.com told me get a 1064 PhidgetMotorControl HC but im not sure it will work though

Thanks for the help

http://www.phidgets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2186

Last edited by daniel_123; 05-11-2008 at 12:56 PM.

Re: servo phidget

Yup! That's the problem! Your car isn't driven by servos - it's driven by motors. Two different animals.

You're fortunate you haven't burned-up your servo controller yet, the motors must be small, but you can be assured you're on the way to doing so...

You're needing a motor controller, and a motor controller sized appropriately to your motors.

Welcome to the TRC, btw!

[you didn't mention what Nikko car specifically, or even better, what size motors, so we can't advise on size or type of motor controller, but the upshot is that you did get solid advice on the phidget forums]

3. Re: servo phidget

Thanks

yes sometimes the servo smells burnt after i used it! i wondered why

there is a little white motor for direction and on the other side of the car another motor for propulsion
    the battery for the car is 6V so i guess the motors use this voltage

So my only solution is getting a motor controller?

Thanks again
    Sincerely

Can you take pictures of the motors? It's the directional motor that has me concerned. The drive motor - I'd feel good about pointing to something like the small banebots and saying "that one". want to make sure, though, that we know what we're getting into with the steering.

If they're both similar motors, you could also use a two channel controller like the sabertooth and save a few dollars over buying two separate controllers.

Images

I'm not sure you should count out a phidgetservo controller just yet. I would imagine the car has some sort of ESP controlling the speed of the drive motor. If you could trace that back you may be able to find a way to bypass the reciever output and use your servo controller. THough it would be a lot easier to just hook the motor up to a motor controller directly.

6. Re: servo phidget

here is the motor for direction

better photo : http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/7229/image001iu3.jpg
    Last edited by daniel_123; 05-12-2008 at 03:38 PM.

I just don't think trying to send PWM into their electronics will have a big payoff. You could separate out their receiver circuit and tie in on the back side, hypothetically. But likely that's all going to be SMT. If you already had the skills to reverse engineer their SMD multilayer board, your questions would look different.

This car is differential/slipskid right? (The wheels don't turn side-side in the front or the back like steering wheels, right?) It can turn in its own radius?

8. Re: servo phidget

sorry I didnt understand all u said, i don't know a lot in electronics
    the direction motor is very simple only 3 positions straight, right and left
    when i plug the servo wires on the blue and yellow wires for directions, it turns right (or left) .
    unfortunately there is no way to control it after, with the phidget methods and interface

Do the front wheels turn left and right like a real car's steering, or do both the front and back wheels on one side go to cause the turn?

Images

Do you have a motor controller that your Phidget Servo Controller is connected to? If so, many motor controllers are/can be driven by PWM signals generated by a servo controller.

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Thread Information