Thread: My Fire-Fighting Robot

Images

My Fire-Fighting Robot

I posted some details of my latest robot a few days ago, and some people wanted to see my other bots, so here goes:

This is Little Green Machine III, my entry to the 2008 Trinity Fire Fighting Contest. He placed 16th out of 42 in the senior division (I had some problems with sensors getting screwed up by really shiny walls... wasn't doing enough front end processing on the data).

LGM3 uses an ATMEGA16 as it's processor. 4 IR sensors plus a sonar give me 180 degrees of coverage in the front. A uvtron and pyroelectric are used for rough and fine finding of the flame.

While LGM3 isn't that spectacular of a mechanical innovation, his software is quite interesting. Most contestants use a hard coded set of instructions on where to go to get through the known maze, some even use simple wall following techniques. LGM3 uses a topological map, and a hybrid architecture where a central planner oversees and suppresses lower level reactive behaviors. The software is written in C and uses the AVR-GCC compiler.

I've been working on methods to improve the sensor data, and plan to probably re-enter him next year with the newer software.

-Fergs

2. Re: My Fire-Fighting Robot

Neato. What pyroelectric sensor did you use?
    New to the TR Community? Feel free to introduce yourself and show off your projects!

Images

Re: My Fire-Fighting Robot

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Neato. What pyroelectric sensor did you use?
    Thanks. I'm using the Eltec sensor from Acroname. I bought it about 5 years ago, when they were only reasonbly expensive at $50, last check they were pushing $80. It's a really nice sensor because, unlike most, the signal is already amplified to be 2.5V center, and 0-5V, rather than being in the millivolt range and requiring external amplifiers.

That said, I'm now playing with some IR photodiodes for my next robot, because $3-4 is a lot nicer than $80.

-Fergs

Thread Information