Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Phoenix Thread

Images

Lightbulb The Ultimate Phoenix Thread

This thread is for all things Phoenix-like Hexapods. It can be Lynxmotion's or your own original style (looking at your direction, Matt Denton, Zenta, and Xan )

I've just posted my images of my Phoenix on this site... Now that the mechanical and the electrical is done, time for deving!
    ---
    Sleep? You don't need sleep...

---

Images

Re: The Ultimate Phoenix Thread

---

---

Images

very impressive work Tom! What software are you using for this?

Do you have this running? Videos!! I want some videos!!

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Soooo Purdy!

Images

Thanks!

No software yet. I have a modified code generated by Powerpod that was modded to run on the Atom Pro (rather then the Basic Atom) that runs great on my CH3-R. I need to modify it and clean up that code further for the Phoenix... It's a beautiful IK-based program created by Laurent Gay for Lynxmotion. It's a great foundation to start with, regardless of whether you have a Lynxmotion hexapod or not...

One of the things I must do first is I'm still struggling on the mechanical configuration. My own preference before doing software development is to make sure that the mechanical aspect of the bot is "finished" and cleaned up. I'm still struggling to place the power (batteries) in a comfortable location. Currently, I have it strapped to the underside of the hexapod as you can see, and I don't like it cause it takes away clearance. I think I need to raise the ssc-32 slightly by using shorter stand-offs, then reconfigure my side-by-side packs to be a hump pack, with three on the bottom, two on the top. I also ordered some rechargeable 9v (280mAH versions) for the logic, since I used to use two 5XAA-cell packs: one for the logic, one for the servo, which wasn't a problem on the CH3-R with the chassis being so roomy.

One of the most challenging things about the Phoenix is to cram all that electronic and battery pack(s) onto such a cramped space... and doing it elegantly, so that it doesn't detract from the aesthetics...
    Last edited by tom_chang79; 05-21-2008 at 10:43 PM.
    ---

---

Quote Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post
    One of the things I must do first is I'm still struggling on the mechanical configuration. My own preference before doing software development is to make sure that the mechanical aspect of the bot is "finished" and cleaned up. I'm still struggling to place the power (batteries) in a comfortable location.
    You're doing great work on this, Tom! I love the red tie wraps. I think they really add to the over all look of this Phoenix. I am sure you will get it all figured out. What batteries are you using? I'd use a pair of [email protected] mAH hour packs just for the servos - one to power each side of the SSC-32. Then use another like pack for the electronics. I don't know if Phoenix has room for this arrangement though.
    I can handle complexity. It's the simple things that confound me.
    Do everything in moderation, ESPECIALLY, moderation..
    Sometimes the only way to win, is not to play.. -- Stephen Falken

Images

Thanks Dale. I purposely chose the red tie wraps to contrast with the black to give it a more "black widow" color scheme...

I've always used a pair of 5-cell AA packs, 2500mAH NiMH Energizers. One for the servo power and one for the electronics. I'm now going to be reconfiguring those packs to be a hump pack and lifting the ssc-32 a little higher away from the lower deck with shorter standoffs (since it's attached to the top deck).

For the logic side, I just recently bought a pair of 280mAH 9V rechargeables... Going to see how those are going.

My experience with the Energizers, steer clear of them. They are really crappy batteries. If you can get them cheap, then use them, but never pay full price for these batteries. The capacity seems over rated, I have never successfully filled it up to 2500mAH capacity during charge, only got them to be about 2000mAH, and they are quite leaky compared to other NiMH that I've used. I've always been able to stuff about 3400mAH to 3600mAH capacity into my 3300mAH sub-C packs... Also, be careful of the charging rate. I think I set mine at 1A charge rate on my LRP Pulsar 2 charger. Tried it starting at 3.0A and one of the packs got dangerously hot... Even at 1.5A charge, it get real hot...

If you're going for NiMH packs, go for the 2/3A cell packs they sell for receivers, or just go all out sub-C cells. I think sub-C cells are the best for the size, price, capacity, weight, and discharge rate...

So my power will now be a 5-cell AA hump pack with a 9V for the logic... More pics hopefully soon!
    ---

---

I totally agree with you re: the energizers. Way over-rated, imho. Putting them up against identically spec'd "real" cells they don't hold even half the lifespan under high drain application.

I envy your black widow-like 'bot. I have a couple of the "real things" living here in the lab. My favorite critters ever!

Images

Check out Zenta's pics. He has the true black widow (8 legs):

That has got to be the coolest bot I've ever seen.

I'm happy with just 6 legs but 8 qualifies it to be an arachnida!

But back to the subject of the Phoenix, anyone else here own this bot? I'm currently cleaning up the servo wires again, I was still unhappy with the way I cleaned it up. Now it's much more cleaner then before... I think I"m addicted to cleaning up servo wires, there's always some way to clean it up even better then the previous attempt, at some point I just have to let it go and just play with the darn bot...
    ---

---

[whistle] Wow, that's gorgeous!!! I should get into legged'bots one of these days.

I know little about the multipods. Could you get away with building a really tiny one using the new[ish] submicro servos (like this: http://www.servocity.com/html/s3113_micro_servo.html ). No problem with cutting the bits myself... Is a 21oz-in servo enough to carry a small battery and an SSC32, as well as its own servo weight?

Thread Information