Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remote PC control

Remote PC control

Concept-

You have a nice powerful computer in front of you, and you also have a robot that needs computing but doesn't have the space for the electronics- now how would you remotely control a robot using a pc (and have it do the processing for the robot there) via wifi/zig/bluetooth/other?

Well this was an idea i was wondering about if it were possible, to make a small robot... but have its controller be a remote pc and transmit data to it with a link.

I don't know if it was already discussed, but to me this seemed like an interesting way to control a robot and was wondering if anybody has some input on this.

Images

Re: Remote PC control

Here is a better solution THIS is what I am using on my current robotics project. Very tiny and will fit in just about any bot. Why connect a bot to a PC when the bot can be a PC?

I was thinking the remote PC as just another option, that might be cheaper (no clue if it is) and even more processing power, it was just a thought. And actually my idea was have a bigger robot control a smaller robot with one of those pico pc's... just dont know the way to do it with hardware/software.

Images

The pico PC I have is 1gig processor 1gig ram 80gig hdd. So it is more than enough power for any bot. But you can get them with 2gig processors and 2gig of ram and 120gig hdd if you need even more power.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingzero01w View Post
    Concept-

You have a nice powerful computer in front of you, and you also have a robot that needs computing but doesn't have the space for the electronics- now how would you remotely control a robot using a pc (and have it do the processing for the robot there) via wifi/zig/bluetooth/other?
    You could put a Serializer with the Bluetooth interface on the robot and control it from any PC using any OS and any language. The Serializer accepts ASCII text commands to do I/O and already has facility for different interfaces (RS-232, USB, Bluetooth, Zigbee).

This method is also supported by Microsoft Robotics Studio if you want to go that route. I am really tempted to get a Serializer for W.A.L.T.E.R. - it will work with Hammer because it accepts TTL serial out of the box. It just needs the voltage levels translated between 3.3V and 5V.

8-Dale
    I can handle complexity. It's the simple things that confound me.
    Do everything in moderation, ESPECIALLY, moderation..
    Sometimes the only way to win, is not to play.. -- Stephen Falken

Thanks robotguy,

So basically this serializer can control the servos on my robot and have a remote PC be the "brain"? That would be perfect for my project!

Quote Originally Posted by Wingzero01w View Post
    So basically this serializer can control the servos on my robot and have a remote PC be the "brain"? That would be perfect for my project!
    Yes, that's how it works. The Serializer operates from text commands you send it over any supported interface, including Bluetooth.

8-Dale
    I can handle complexity. It's the simple things that confound me.
    Do everything in moderation, ESPECIALLY, moderation..
    Sometimes the only way to win, is not to play.. -- Stephen Falken

Quote Originally Posted by Droid Works View Post
    The pico PC I have is 1gig processor 1gig ram 80gig hdd. So it is more than enough power for any bot. But you can get them with 2gig processors and 2gig of ram and 120gig hdd if you need even more power.
    "more than enough"

You mean like 640KB of RAM, right?

Dangerous statement. Can your 1ghz pico do reliable face and speaker-independant voice recognition? Mine can't. How many billion nodes can you run on it for AI?

A single machine will never equal a farm full of computing. By definition. 2 >1, 2000 >1, 2000000000 >1.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    "more than enough"

You mean like 640KB of RAM, right?

Dangerous statement. Can your 1ghz pico do reliable face and speaker-independant voice recognition? Mine can't. How many billion nodes can you run on it for AI?

A single machine will never equal a farm full of computing. By definition. 2 >1, 2000 >1, 2000000000 >1.
    1gig processor 1 gig ddr2 ram 80gig hdd

Mine works great I have ultra hal and roborealm and a bunch of custom vb programs running on it and it works great.
    Last edited by Droid Works; 05-20-2008 at 08:27 PM.

Images

here is the link of the one I have.
    http://www.logicsupply.com/products/artigo

Thread Information