Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Software Newbie

1. Software Newbie

Should I take on the challenge of Visual Basic
    or the Microsoft robotics software to work with Phidgets.
    I'm a REAL Newbie- Bottom Line.
    I've played with Vex easyC, So I need the kindergarden stuff.
    Thanks

Images

Re: Software Newbie

Defiantly Visual Basic. Knowing languages like Visual Basic, C++, C#, ect. Are more valuable than learning any program. With programing lang you can use them on just about any robot and create your own programs. I suggest VB because it is a easy lang to learn and one of the most usefull.

I'd go the C# route because it will put you in a position to graduate to C++. It's also more useful for web programming, imho.

4. Re: Software Newbie

I downloaded Visual Basics express, Is this the correct version?
    It was free and has a Tutorial on how to learn it.
    I don't need alot of programming, Just need to be able to interact with the Phidgets.
    I'm going to start a thread describing what I'm trying to do, And this way I can get all the help in one spot.
    Thank you very much for the help.
    Calvin

Visual Basic Express will do the job for you, yes.

The express version of C# is also free from Microsoft.

Images

If you're a newbie and have no experience in programming, don't go near MSRS. Even experienced programmers have difficulties with it. It's an incredibly powerful platform, but the learning curve for a beginning programmer is far too great to even bother with.

You can go with either C# or VB Express. Either one will do a nice job with Phidgets.

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    I'd go the C# route because it will put you in a position to graduate to C++. It's also more useful for web programming, imho.
    Wouldn't that tend to lock one into using the Microsoft tools? Hmmm, maybe I should take a closer look at C# if it won't mess me up for using the GNU C/C++ tools.

8-Dale
    I can handle complexity. It's the simple things that confound me.
    Do everything in moderation, ESPECIALLY, moderation..
    Sometimes the only way to win, is not to play.. -- Stephen Falken

Yes and no. If you use all the fancy pretty stuff, yes. But the concepts are roughly the same. It's a lot easier to graduate from C# to C++ than it is from BASIC to C++...

Besides, the vaaaast majority of desktop machines are Windows-based. The vaaaast majority of career opportunities are Windows-based. The vaaaast percentage of tools are Windows-based. At some point one needs to accept that it's Windows-or-the-highway for desktop applications.

Further, you *can* run the lion's share of C# apps under Mono if you really wanna.

Besides, the vaaaast majority of desktop machines are Windows-based. The vaaaast majority of career opportunities are Windows-based. The vaaaast percentage of tools are Windows-based. At some point one needs to accept that it's Windows-or-the-highway for desktop applications.
    The only Windows apps I use are when I work with PICs/dsPICs, do 3D CAD (Alibre Design Expert), and play games like WoW. I do have some FPGA development software installed, but no development boards to use it with yet. Altera FPGAs will come into play for an upcoming project, which means another Windows app I will use.

I am at least somewhat foruntate in that I don't have to suck up to any particular company to do stuff. I don't deal with a workplace environment, just my home environment. I admit that Microsoft has made it extremely easy to develop for Windows. I just really don't want to go there, but I keep getting tempted.

Further, you *can* run the lion's share of C# apps under Mono if you really wanna.
    I think I installed mono, but will have to check. I have checked into the portable.Net stuff.

8-Dale
    I can handle complexity. It's the simple things that confound me.
    Do everything in moderation, ESPECIALLY, moderation..
    Sometimes the only way to win, is not to play.. -- Stephen Falken

Quote Originally Posted by robotguy View Post
    The only Windows apps I use are when I work with PICs/dsPICs, do 3D CAD (Alibre Design Expert), and play games like WoW. I do have some FPGA development software installed, but no development boards to use it with yet. Altera FPGAs will come into play for an upcoming project, which means another Windows app I will use.

I am at least somewhat foruntate in that I don't have to suck up to any particular company to do stuff. I don't deal with a workplace environment, just my home environment. I admit that Microsoft has made it extremely easy to develop for Windows. I just really don't want to go there, but I keep getting tempted.

I think I installed mono, but will have to check. I have checked into the portable.Net stuff.

8-Dale
    If you don't mind me asking, whats so bad or repelling about windows? I can understand hating vista... but XP has most of the bugs out and works fairly well.

WoW is definitely a fun game, i used to play it but it got real addicting and distracted me from school work so i had to quit, maybe in the summer ill do it again.

Whats an FPGA? sorry if its a stupid question im still new to embedded terms.

Thread Information