Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Stuff for bright minds

Images

Free Stuff for bright minds

Hey All,

It is Xmas in the summer for someone @ TRC!

We have had a VR glove bouncing around for years now and it still hasn't found a happy home. A lot of work and money went into building this thing so we hate to leave it on a shelf. We built this for a conference 3 years ago and it hasn't been used since. We are giving it away to the person who comes up with a cool idea and promises to document it for the tutorial & projects section. (You won't be eligible for the contest obviously)

The kit consists of 2 Phidget 8/8/8s, 5 FSRs, 5 flex sensors, and a 2 axis accelerometer. Most of it should still work, but there may be some fixing up to do. The glove has long cables running to the base station with the phidget 8/8/8s on it. Brand new this VR glove kit would cost $350+

If you are interested please post below leting us know and tell us what you think you want to do with the glove. We will pick the idea we like and send it out.

PS: If your name is Jodie you are not eligible for the VR glove. You already have a present in the mail and WAAAAAAY too many project going at once

Pics:

Attachment 289
    Attachment 290
    Attachment 291
    Attachment 292
    Attachment 293

Re: Free Stuff for bright minds

Well, fine, Jodie will just make her own!

>> and WAAAAAAY too many project going at once

Errr, yeah. Good point. Deities know truer words were never spoken...

As soon as I finish this garage-thang, I can actually start living-up to my promises -something that haunts me every night lately. I've got commitments stacked deeper than my garage right now. Sigh... I despise being a "flake". So not my style.

But I digress. Someone will be very fortunate to be awarded this. That's a tremendous amount of engineering work, beautifully executed! The hard-cost of materials doesn't come close to the labor and brains that obviously went into that!

As an aside, the flex sensors on that glove are the same ones that went into the old Nintendo PowerGlove. They are super spiffy, and the patented design is truly "one of a kind". Adding force sensors for feedback raises it a 'whole 'nother notch. Someone should propose adding NITINOL to the glove and using some outputs to provide remote touch feedback. A waaay back-burner pet project idea of mine... If the winner wants decently priced sources on NITINOL, let me know and I'll send linkage...

Images

Hey Matt this looks so cool, thanks for offering this device to members.What does it weigh, I have an idea Like controlling a J5 in the pipeline.Mimic hand movements ect. cool to have J5's hand moving with glove movements.
    Last edited by 4mem8; 05-29-2008 at 07:08 PM.
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

Images

I can think of ton of things I could use it for. Like our prosthetics program, control for the robotic arm on our PC robot, ect. Very cool piece of hardware.

5. Re: Free Stuff for bright minds

I would be interested in using that.

I have a couple of new MIDI projects on the go - I think the Theremin is pretty much finished, but I've been bouncing an idea around for a new kind of rhythm controller for Ableton Live (my new favourite software - sorry Cubase!)

Steve

Images

Ok...I would love to use it to control all aspects of Vivian over a wi-fi connection...that is...her arm, movement, and gun through one controller, and post it all on the tutorials section...That said...perhaps this shouldn't be a "gift", but more of a loan program through which we could all have a shot at it, and that way we could get multiple projects posted for the same thing.

DB

Images

Thank you everyone who raised their hand on this. (haha, pun fun!)

I talked with Stephen and I like the idea of some musical/visual projects for the glove because I think it matches well the type of sensors on it. We will send it out to him and see what he comes up with. I will leave it up to Stephen on whether he decided to pass it along after that or not. If he needs to keep it with the project that's okay, if he re gifts it later that's okay too.

Don't forget, anyone can build a VR glove. It's really not very hard and all the parts are in the store. People also don't need to make it as complex as I did. Just using FSRs or flex sensors with a single 8/8/8 makes it a whole lot cheaper! Or someone could just sew a 3 axis accelerometer to a glove and a single flex sensor for a robot arm control. Many ways to skin this cat.

Or a Wiimote on the arm and a flex sensor on the finger and thumb - least expensive 3axis accelerometer goin', imho. And you get a whole bunch of mappable buttons to boot!

Images

Congrats to the winner, I look forward to your project with this glove.
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

If you're not familiar with Stephen's work, 4mem, have a look at the laser harp: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1416

I saw him and his harp at the Maker Faire. It was really cool and drew a huge crowd.

Thread Information