Thread: Able to disable heat threshold or torque 0 upon heating?

1. Able to disable heat threshold or torque 0 upon heating?

Hello,

I hope someone can help me, or tell me if this is possible. I'm looking for a way to overwrite or disable either the thermal high (0-99 Celsius) cut off or the ability to shut off the '0 torque' if a thermal high goes over its setting. I'm sure this voids warranty, but i don't have an issue with that. I just need the MX64AT to work over its thermal limit with out losing its torque or ability to function.

Thanks in advance

Images

Re: Able to disable heat threshold or torque 0 upon heating?

No, not without a firmware hack. It will destroy itself if it goes over that. That is why it is there. I'd suggest a small fan blowing into the vents.

The MX-64AT will lose its ability to function when it goes over the thermal limit. It will permanently destroy it, requiring replacement of the motor.
    In fact, the MX-64AT is able to destroy itself before the thermal/overload limit kicks in, if you feed it 16V instead of 12V (i e, a fully charged 4S LiPo.)
    If you need more torque than the servo can deliver, I highly recommend getting a bigger servo, or pre-loading your load with a torsion spring (if that's feasible in your application.)

A small fan can help prevent overheating, but because the air doesn't blow on the brushes in the motors, it's not a great solution.
    I have a 20x20x8mm 5V fan that fits perfectly on the bottom side of the servo. I think it's this one:
    https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...544-ND/2757793

4. Re: Able to disable heat threshold or torque 0 upon heating?

Thanks for the input. Has anyone here successfully run at the upper limit of 99 deg c for any length of time? I'm running them off an ac/dc power supply at 12 volts. The space I have them in is enclosed but there are two 2 inch holes that creates some ventilation.

My robot is running in a science museum, and its environment is out of my control. I can tell you that it is thermally shutting down after about 2 weeks running 24/7 . There is heat entering the robot from a computer which is very close by. The robot is also enclosed in a Lucite tube, but there is no top to it. Not helping my cause. I am in the process of trouble shooting and giving them ideas how to increase air flow and get rid of the heat. They are 8000 miles away :/

Has anyone here successfully run at the upper limit of 99 deg c for any length of time?
    No, this will destroy it. (the 16V vs 12V means that the heating up when stalling is faster than the electronics can protect against; at 12V the overload/overheat protection will likely be able to save the servo.)

Get two of those 5V fans, mounted on the bottom of the servo, blowing into the servo case.
    Additionally, if you can, get fans to blow into (or out of) the enclosure in the exhibit.
    You can power a 5V fan out of the 12V from the MX-64 power connector, if you use a 7805 regulator, or perhaps better, a Murata OKI-78SR to reduce the amount of heat generated in conversion.

6. Re: Able to disable heat threshold or torque 0 upon heating?

Great idea to run the fans off the power connector. Just heard from the museum today...it had nothing to do with the dynamixels overheating but was in fact a bug in the program which shut those two particular servos down. Its back up and running.

Even tho, alot of great info here, to keep the servos cool and operational! Thanks for all the help.

Thread Information