Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 Axis Tilt Compensated Compass

1. 3 Axis Tilt Compensated Compass

So I've been using a 3-axis tilt compensated compass in my AUV MicroSeeker for a few years now. It works great, but is crazy expensive (around $500).

Sparkfun is carrying a nice one that is almost half the price, and is even smaller to boot.

However, recently I came across a new one, by Silicon Labs, that is available for $72. This one is a little bigger, and needs a PC (unless you're willing to hack the board a little) since it uses USB. It includes a nice LCD and a built-in battery holder, so you can use it as a hand-held compass for testing purposes.

It is a reference design, and has an onboard microcontroller, and they have the source code that is running on the microcontroller available on their site.

Mouser carries it, if you want to order it...

- Jon

Re: 3 Axis Tilt Compensated Compass

Heck, just that LCD has got to be worth $35. It's socketed and appears to be reasonably high-res graphic.

Your Order is Now Complete

You will receive an additional email confirmation when your order ships. If you have questions or concerns about your order, please contact us and reference the order number below
    Too cheap. Couldn't resist the urge. Thanks a lot. I can't decide if I should do a +rep or -rep on that. :P Dang it, I couldn't give you +rep. Sorry. Bank it for later - I have to "spread it around".

4. Re: 3 Axis Tilt Compensated Compass

I think the LCD is one of those "specific" LCDs, not a generic graphical LCD.

Big Version

- Jon

Images

Wow, what a killer find! Thanks for reporting it Jon. Jodie, give me your review of this when you are done playing also. This may be a must stock item.

Good call Jon, thanks. I just saw the silabs boot screen and figured it was graphical. It's still amazingly inexpensive.

Did you get the RD yet yourself, Jon? I understand the package includes: "complete compass, user guide, schematics, USB Cable, and PC GUI Software". It's a true reference board, apparently, and I can't believe the deal there. I'll be hacking on it to see what it really is. The chips are just a few dollars in 10k quantity.

7. Re: 3 Axis Tilt Compensated Compass

Yeah, I took the picture above. Its a really nice package, comes with all the above mentioned stuff. I ran the calibration procedure, which was very simple with the included push-buttons and LCD panel. I used this page:

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomagmodel...alcDeclination

to figure the magnetic deviation for where I am.

I haven't plugged it into my PC yet, but that will be next.

- Jon

That's awesome, thanks! Good initial report! Mine should be here end of next week.

I do a lot of hiking and climbing (and geocaching), so I know my dec by rote. I'd personally never use a digital compass in the boonies (I have a Brunton Outback that was a gift, but wouldn't ever use it, I had it out to consider hacking it - but this kit is just too reasonable), I carry a Cammenga Tritium US Milspec as my primary and a Silva Type 20 as my backup. But for a robot? They're a must have. Although - one COULD read a magnetic compass with a camera. Hmmm.

Images

BTW Jon, are you planning on entering your microseeker in the TRC Contest?

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

More questions for you, Jon -

Do they offer the source code for their PC GUI? Have you figured out how to interface with it (even over the USB) - I know you said you haven't plugged it into the PC yet, but was there any good interface documentation outside the MC docs/source? Bonus points for the source for the PC GUI they advertise.

I'd expect a reference design to offer the source for all pieces, but this thing is just sooo inexpensive!

Thread Information