Thread: Colson Wheels to 6mm Shaft

Colson Wheels to 6mm Shaft

I have the 5" x 7/8" Colson Performa wheels: http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store...-5-x-7-8-.aspx
    I have the Wheel Hub, Colson 7/8" Wheel, 6mm: http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store...Wheel-6mm.aspx
    I have the Lynxmoton Planetary Gear Motor - 12vdc 91:1 65rpm (6mm shaft): http://www.lynxmotion.com/Product.as...&CategoryID=71

How do I connect all 3 pieces together using standard garage tools?
    Do I hammer the hub into the wheel?
    How do I mount the hub to the 6mm shaft of the motor?
    Will there be a substantial loss of rotary motion due to this assembly?

Thanks!

Re: Colson Wheels to 6mm Shaft

I tap the Delrin freewheel bearing out with a pin-punch over a vice. Then I put the 6mm couple against the wheel and tap it to start it straight (using a mostly closed vice for wide area support of the wheel), then I put the wheel with partially inserted coupler into the vice and slowly apply pressure to squeeze it in.

I put them on the shaft with a large pair of channel lock pliers. I personally feel that steady force is less stressful to the bearings and windings than would be sharp high-g force from a hammer method.

If the coupler is unkeyed, I find widening the base side of the coupler just a wee bit in the drill press helps get them started straight and guides them on the shaft. Not terribly deep, though! Take off too much material and they're garbage [don't I know]!

Others may have different methods, and I'd personally love to hear the creative means people have for these things.

So, essentially, you squeeze the coupler to fit/conform to the shaft, correct?

Is it that easy to bend the coupler by hand? And won't that create a "wobbly" wheel?

Also, do you think it is an efficient method of transfering the motor's rotary motion to the wheel? Does it slip at all?

Would you recommend drilling and tapping for a set-screw, or is the channel lock plier method easier/better/more efficient?

Thanks Ma'am

4. Re: Colson Wheels to 6mm Shaft

Personally, I like to machine my hubs so I can easily take the whole thing apart. I can't remember how many times I've taken Seeker 2 apart in the five years I've had it - probably a few dozen at least.

The hubs have a 2mm hole drilled through the center, with a pair of #4-40 set screws to hold it in place. The hubs started life as a piece of 1" diameter brass rod, and then turned to shape on the lathe. Then the wheels slide onto the hub, and are fastened in place with #4-40 cap screws.

Seeker 3 is done the same way - you can see details in this picture. Seeker 2x, my latest mini sumo (still under construction), doesn't really have space for hubs, since the wheels are only 1" in diameter, so I have #4-40 set screw channels going right through the wheels to the motor shaft.

- Jon

I wouldn't say I'm "bending" the coupler, more compressing it. It's a snug but doable fit. I haven't noticed them any more out of round than any other wheel. These things tend not to be machined to all that tight a tolerance anyway.

Thread Information