Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 19 dof bioloid

1. 19 dof bioloid

ok folks I have just finished assembling the 19th servo into the waist of my bioloid and would love to hear from others that have.
    I am in the process of going through the motion files and changing them to accommodate the extra servo. the oem motion files seem to have not taken into consideration of this servo. it is set to continuous rotation.

so what new motions have you been able to achieve with the extra servo? seems like you could make a faster more stable walk.

2. Re: 19 dof bioloid

ok banging my head a lil bit here,you cant go into motion editor and change the servo setting? then how do you do this?

Images

Re: 19 dof bioloid

Trey, I had the same problem when I installed my 19th servo. If you check each of the motion file pages in Robot Terminal, you'll find that a "blank" entry into any of the servo slots will cause the servo to rotate continuously (and almost snapping my servo cables since it's at the waist )

You should use Robot Terminal, and pay attention to the "next page" and "exit" pages of each motion page. Insert "512" for the value of the 19th servo as a starter, just to keep it still...

You actually will have to painstakingly go through each page and do this. I tried to do this under motion editor, but found it very very tedious. Refer to the behavior control program for what initial page it jumps to, then use the terminal to go to that page and follow the "next" and "exit" that's on every page.

To help yourself not get lost in the linking of the motion pages, I charted out by hand the current page, link to the next page from it, and the link to the exit page from it... I'll post it when I get home today...
    ---
    Sleep? You don't need sleep...

---

4. Re: 19 dof bioloid

Hey guys I tried installing a 19th servo in my Bioloid , but I'm not sure if it was put in the right place. He seemed very unstable and top heavy. I installed it between the 2 leg twist servo's in the same direction is that correct?

5. Re: 19 dof bioloid

well mine is in the cavity between the leg twist servos(hips) but the servo horn is up and facing the opposite direction

thanks tom just a lil frustrating,was thinking for a minute that I might have to create my own motions,I will eventually anyway,but it would be nice to use the default for now ya know?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TechMech View Post
    Hey guys I tried installing a 19th servo in my Bioloid , but I'm not sure if it was put in the right place. He seemed very unstable and top heavy. I installed it between the 2 leg twist servo's in the same direction is that correct?
    TechMech, yes, that would be the correct location. Although "correct" might be a wrong word to use on a set like the Bioloid, where you have the freedom to reconfigure anything as you please... Check out Alpha's usage on the 19th servo (I think his is 20 DOF)

But I believe that location between the two hip servos is the logical choice. Looking at that location, it was meant to have a servo there, but seems like Robotis might've cut it out due to competition of pricing versus profit (gotta have enough profit to fund future R&D )

Anywho, regarding the top-heavy concern, I noticed that too. My Bioloid used to walk fine when I had it disconnected, it was still mechanically installed but just not powered. After I got rid of the continuous-rotation snafu, I noticed that it does not walk properly anymore. I think it has to do with the rigidity with a heavier waist (I fix the servo at 512 as I have not yet taken advantage of the usage).

I believe one can compensate this from my experience of that servo being there but not powered. I believe that the servo must rotate the upper body in the correct manner (timing) with the poses to augment the COG shifting.

I'm currently busy with my hexapod and haven't really played around with the Bioloid. I'll come around to it again eventually and that was actually one of the top things on my to-do list for my Bioloid...
    Last edited by tom_chang79; 06-09-2008 at 10:07 PM.
    ---

---

7. Re: 19 dof bioloid

ok not making much progress due to several things,12 hr work days,wifes in hospital etc...but I am stuck on the robot terminal and editing the motions there cant quite get there,anyone know of a step by step? I will definitely be posting this as a tut when we get there and even the motion program itself, I think robotis should have but ah well solder on!-

8. Re: 19 dof bioloid

ok so no forward motion on robot terminal so I switched back to the motion editor. and so far here is what I have found,to edit a motion first select page number,then select the pose from from the bottom row then edit the servo then save page and repeat for next pose.
    heres the rub so far now my bioloid moves in slow motion,seems I think tom chang had this prob also I will search through his threads and see if I can find it.

Images

trey, sorry for not uploading this sooner, but here's the bioloid 19dof motion edit:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/do...?do=file&id=50

the edit basically fixes the 19th servo to "512" But the WALKING section is the only one that has been edited. The "karate" and the "dance" and any other section has not been edited yet, so this motion file will make the bioloid behave like the default for those sections (the 19th servo continuous rotating )

So just use mode->play->"D" ONLY. I will eventually get around to editing the other sections so that the 19th servo doesn't do continuous rotate...

Now for the robot terminal part. You should pay particular attention to section 5-2-2 of the User's Guide (page 107).

This section teaches you how to edit the various motion pages. Make sure you look at the right-hand side for "link to next" and "link to exit" pages. Each of the motion pages will link to the next page and also has an exit link and eventually, the motion wraps around...

You must keep following the pages and keep editing the ID 19 (assuming you put the 19th servo as ID 19).

Oh yeah, one more thing, I think the separate 19th AX-12+ you bought comes up with a blank ID or some random ID. Don't forget to unhook all your other AX-12+ and hook up ONLY the 19th AX-12+ and flash the ID as "19" or any other ID you desire... Make sure no other AX-12+ are on the bus or all the AX-12+ on the bus will get the same ID...

My motion fixes the torso servo at "512" but you will find out that it has some problems walking now, which takes me to the previous post about the added weight + stiffness (the servo fixed to 512) is the most probably cause of unstable walking...

Get to know the robot terminal, I've ditched the motion editor long time ago, as I found that clicking and the interface was slowing me down on editing 20+ pages... The motion editor is just a graphical wrapper for the robot terminal, so you can do everything in motion editor in the robot terminal...
    ---

---

10. Re: 19 dof bioloid

thanks for uploading that file its a starting place for the extra servo at least. as for robot terminal I think I understand how it works but I cant get it to edit the setting for the 19th servo,goodcall on the id,I knew as much adding it with all my other trouble with the cm-5 but others may not,I will post a procedure later and where I get stuck at so you know more about my prob with terminal.

Thread Information