Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Robot Simulator

Images

Robot Simulator

It was suggested that since I am new to the whole programming “thing” that I should consider starting with a Windows XP operating system.
    It occurs to me that I could start building my programming skills and libraries with some sort of simulator since I am on XP with all my PCs anyway. I have searched the threads for a suggestion on where to start with a simulator, but didn’t see one.

Please recommend a good place to start!

Re: Robot Simulator

Today, I just don't like any of the simulation packages out there. MSRS (Microsoft Robotics Studio) is the going thang. IMHO, it's icky. I spent a couple weeks just trying to learn it, forget programming.

There's no universal hardware support simulator today (that's largely what the TROM will be for when it's completed - and the major failing of the existing simulators).

Unless you have something really specific in mind that you want to simulate, start thinking about your environment and what it is you want to accomplish. Then get the simple interfaces for what you're trying to do and start off programming that. If you don't already program, I'd avoid simulators like the plague.

So let's take a step backward.

*Define the problem. What are you trying to accomplish (ie. control some servos (how many?), read a wheel encoder (how many, how accurate), test a bump sensor (how many?), etc)

*Do you have a preferred hardware solution for collecting and/or outputting that data? (Servo Controller is [Phidgets][SSC32][Poulou]) (Analog and/or digital input device will be [Serializer][Arduino][Make Controller][Custom board]), etc

Once we make it that far then we can figure out what languages we support (which may change your decisions) and how we go about learning to communicate with 'em.

I know that doesn't answer your question the way you probably wanted, but that's my opinion.

That said, I recently stumbled upon a pretty spiffy drivetrain simulator that will cut my math down substantially:

http://www.enigmaindustries.com/EDTSim.htm

Images

I'm not a big programmer either...one thing I do know is you can't really work on programming until you have something to program. I'm also not sure how useful a simulator would be. I would pick your first robotic platform first, then go from there. What are you building by the way?

DB

Simulation can be tremendously useful if you have a problem to solve. Without a problem to solve, you might get some pretty pictures, but that's about it.

Images

I'm not a big programmer either...one thing I do know is you can't really work on programming until you have something to program. I'm also not sure how useful a simulator would be. I would pick your first robotic platform first, then go from there. What are you building by the way?

DB

There's an echo in here echo in here echo in here.

Images

sorry...My computer didn't like it that you posted a message while I was posting, and then I ended up hitting submit again thinking that it hadn't worked.

I figured - I was just givin' you a hard time.

Images

Hmmmmm. Not what I wanted to hear ... seemed like a good idea to start with. That said I guess I need to nail down the mechanical specs, then work up the mech specs.
    Thank you!

Thread Information