Trossen Arduino Top Thread
Page 1 of 34 123451126 ... LastLast

Thread: Original Mech Warfare Thread

Images

Original Mech Warfare Thread

Original Mech Warfare Thread

**Closed due to size, please create individual threads related to specific topics from this point on**

-Tyberius
    Last edited by Tyberius; 11-12-2008 at 11:45 AM.

Images

Original Mech Wars Thread

Official Mech Warfare Site: http://mech-warfare.com

We had some awesome discussions on a new form of robotic competition at Robogames. Think Combat bots meet Humanoid fighting... I present to you Mech Warfare.

I'll give an overview of the rough concept and rules:

Event would take place inside a battle-bot type arena, much like they had at robogames. Would have to be fully enclosed. Anywhere from 8-16 mock 'buildings' roughly 2 feet tall or so would be placed strategically throughout the arena to provide cover. 'Streets' would be wide enough to allow bots to traverse down and through the city. Each bot starts at the opposite side of the arena.

Walking robots only. I was originally thinking bipeds but Eric has his heart set on an AT-AT type bot. I'd say anything up to 4 legs should be allowed, hexapods might have too much of an advantage.

'Pilots' may only view the battle through a POV camera mounted on their bot. Spectators would be able to watch the entire fight in the arena, and also have a view of each pilots 'bot cam' on either side of the arena.

Projectile and melee weapons are allowed. I'm going to say things like flame throwers are outlawed as these bots are going to be walkers and thus not quite as armored as standard combat bots. Things like airsoft type guns, coilguns and rockets (think micro-estes engines) are allowed. I'm thinking at least some sort of auto-tracking/lock on can be allowed.

Each robot has touch sensors on the body, with "X" amount of 'hitpoints'. The object is to essentially hit your opponents chest "X" amount of times or score the most hits before the round ends. A knockover could also count as a hit. We were thinking something like 3-5 hitpoints, which could be displayed on the bot via LED's that light up after each hit is taken. Flash paper could also be used for extra effect.

Currently there are humanoid 'laser tag' contests... but the thing they're lacking is projectiles. Shooting light at eachother isnt nearly as much fun as shooting a coilgun or something visible, or unleashing a barrage of rockets at your enemy.
    Last edited by Tyberius; 11-12-2008 at 11:46 AM.
    Andrew Alter
    Trossen Robotics
    Join the Robotic Combat Revolution @ Mech Warfare!

Images

Re: Mech

Absolutely awesome idea.... I've always wanted a full size mech, but this is a little more practical...

And if you want to make it interactive with the crowd.. arm the buildings and do a raffle or something to pick spectators to shoot from buildings.

-Fergs
    Last edited by lnxfergy; 06-17-2008 at 01:44 PM.

4. Trossen Desktop RoboTurret Thread Banner

I didn't think of this when we chatted on Saturday - but is a complicated hitpoint scheme even necessary? One hit from a rocket is going to put the thing down, and something with the configuration of a mech won't be able to right itself. One shot, one kill.

One airsoft probably wouldn't "kill" it, but a barage from a full auto electric airsoft certainly would...
    I Void Warranties�

Images

I have the head of ED 202 biped in acrylic resin [hollow] and a good size, i might post a pic after digging it out from my pile of bits, That would be neat on a biped frame, damn you all, now I have to spend more $'s after getting J5 he he, Might be hard to justify to the wife though after getting J5.
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

Images

Airsoft would be quite good for this Adrenalynn, Just been talking to tyberious about his idea of Mechwarrior type bipeds, very cool idea, damn living so far away from you guys.
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    I didn't think of this when we chatted on Saturday - but is a complicated hitpoint scheme even necessary? One hit from a rocket is going to put the thing down, and something with the configuration of a mech won't be able to right itself. One shot, one kill.

One airsoft probably wouldn't "kill" it, but a barage from a full auto electric airsoft certainly would...
    Eh, might make the matches go a little too quick. I was thinking 10 minute time limit, or 3 hits to the chest to win... simply because we're trying to simulate mech combat... and what mech takes one hit and falls over dead?

Knock over might be considered insta-death though, as some of these bots probably cant right themselves.

With that said, maybe 3 direct hits from the 'small arms fire' (airsoft, coilgun, etc) constitutes a kill, or a knock over from a rocket constitutes a kill.
    Andrew Alter
    Trossen Robotics

Agreed - airsoft would work well. And be super easy to sense hits in the target zone, ignore hits outside of it.
    I Void Warranties�

If you could get the pansy assed safety crippled authorities to agree to rocket toting robots I'm there!
    Put two cameras on your bot and use those new game goggles glasses so you can have tele-operated stereo vision! Here is an application for one of those light wieght high pressure fiber bottles that are used for paint balls and airsoft. And you can load the gun with bb's instead of plastic pellets.

There are a grouip of guys that already have these guns down and attached to an R/C platform for sanctioned battling. If they can get permission to fill a pond with bb's why couldn't we pelt each others bots within a plastic coccoon?
    http://gizmodo.com/386883/maker-fair...bb-gun-cannons
    MYKREATION:
    http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/sh...=6217#post6217

Somnium est ubi nos ipsi primas agimus partes.

Images

They were allowing massive flamethrowers on bots at Robogames, I dont see why glorified bottle rockets (without the bang) wouldnt be allowed. Basically the same as firing a mini model rocket, and it would be inside that big enclosed arena.
    Andrew Alter
    Trossen Robotics

Thread Information