Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bioloid Assembled IMU

Images

Question Bioloid Assembled IMU

Is the Bioloid Assembled IMU plug and play? I couldn't find any detailed instructions so I am not sure what is involved in setting it up. There is info on installing it in the chest and the specs on it but no info on software setup. I just ordered one and should have it in a few days so any info would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Droid Works; 06-24-2008 at 08:37 PM.

2. Re: Bioloid Assembled IMU

Quote Originally Posted by Droid Works View Post
    Is the Bioloid Assembled IMU plug and play? I couldn't find any detailed instructions so I am not sure what is involved in setting it up. There is info on installing it in the chest and the specs on it but no info on software setup. I just ordered one and should have it in a few days so any info would be appreciated.
    Yes, it is plug and play. It, like my other Bioloid devices, plugs into the bus, and acts like any other device on the bus. The reason there is no info on software setup is because there isn't any :-)

I would strongly suggest you read the AX-12 manual carefully - there is a wealth of information in there that describes how to talk to bus devices, and the IMU works exactly the same way.

Please let me know if you have any other questions...

- Jon
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

Images

Re: Bioloid Assembled IMU

Check out this video of StuartL on this thread:

http://robosavvy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2645

Quite impressive use of Jon's IMU...
    ---
    Sleep? You don't need sleep...

---

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JonHylands View Post
    Yes, it is plug and play. It, like my other Bioloid devices, plugs into the bus, and acts like any other device on the bus. The reason there is no info on software setup is because there isn't any :-)

I would strongly suggest you read the AX-12 manual carefully - there is a wealth of information in there that describes how to talk to bus devices, and the IMU works exactly the same way.

Please let me know if you have any other questions...

- Jon
    Awesome! I was hoping that was the case. Happy happy joy joy!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post
    Check out this video of StuartL on this thread:

http://robosavvy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2645

Quite impressive use of Jon's IMU...
    Very cool the first video he had slow response and unstable behavior. But the second video was perfect. He seemed to get all the setting right. Very cool, cant wait to get mine in the mail.

Images

Is there a way I can see the real time data on the accelerometer so I can get it set exactly how I want it? Or can you tell me what your settings are or a screen shot. So I don't have to go threw the trial and error portion of setting the gyro.

7. Re: Bioloid Assembled IMU

The internal control table registers on the IMU (all six sensors) are updated 100 times per second. You can retrieve the data from them as fast as you want, but it won't change any faster than 100 Hz.
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

Images

Basically what I want to do is set the knee, foot and ankle servos at different speeds and compensation levels. I found this method works best with my other humanoids. Is this possible with the IMU and how do you do it?
    Last edited by Droid Works; 06-28-2008 at 12:30 AM.

Images

thats a good qustion i just bought a boiloid robot and i was thinking about doin the same.
    you could call trossen robotics if nobody can answer your qustion on here.
    on the top of this page there is a contact button you can click on.
    but you should get all the info when you get your imu.. when i gets delivered to your house there should be a book or some kind of instructional manual or something inside other than just the imu. by the way do you know if the imu is better than the krg-3 gyro.. i wana get a gyro but im not shure which is better... the imu or the krg-3 gyro

10. Re: Bioloid Assembled IMU

Quote Originally Posted by Droid Works View Post
    Basically what I want to do is set the knee, foot and ankle servos at different speeds and compensation levels. I found this method works best with my other humanoids. Is this possible with the IMU and how do you do it?
    Its not really possible to do that directly with this IMU as you do with the ones on your other humanoids, at least not directly. They use servos that are controlled with what amounts to an analog signal, and its very easy mechanically to convert a gyro's signal to a delta to mix with a servo signal.

You can do the same thing with the Bioloid IMU, but it will require some clever programming, and filtering.

The IMU doesn't come with any paper documentation - the documentation is on the website referenced from the product pages. I don't explain how to use the IMU to help a humanoid balance in the documentation for the simple reason that I don't know.

Thread Information