Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Target/Scoring System

Images

Target/Scoring System

Quote Originally Posted by JonHylands
    "We're going to use this wireless module, one per robot, plus a master. The robot (slave) modules will have a secondary board (which I will design & build) that has an onboard ATmega168, and it will interface with up to four taget modules. Each target module is basically a micro-switch that shorts out two wires when it is hit. It will be up to the robot builder to build the target modules for their robot. We will come up with standards for the size of the target.

The slave module will require a 3-wire connection to the robot - power (5 volts), ground, and a digital input pin that will be strobed each time a target is hit. This is so that the robot can send that information back to the controlling PC, and the person controlling the robot will know how many hits they have. Each slave module will have a unique ID.

Once per second, the master will interrogate each slave to find out how many hits they have, and the results will be posted on a large screen that the audience can see.

In terms of number of targets per robot, that is up in the air, but my initial thoughts are:

# of targets = # of legs

So a biped would have two targets (front and rear), a tripod would have three, and a quad would have four. One of the targets has to be clearly visible and hittable when the robot is facing an opponent.

I'm going to build two version of the slave module - one as mentioned above for non-Bioloid mechs, and one that is a Bioloid bus device for Bioloid mechs (so the three-wire connection will be a standard Bioloid bus connector).

The slave modules will be available at cost, which will be somewhere around $50.
    Creating this thread to continue discussion of our Target & Scoring system.

The general idea is we would like to create standardized slave units that will mount on each bot, and interface to 1-4 target plates on the mech, and relay the hit input to a master unit that will in turn interface to a scoreboard.

Re: Target/Scoring System

You mentioned 1 plate for a bipedal mech. You also stated that the target should face the opponant. What happens when the bi-ped is making a strategic retreat?

A biped would need to have a front and back target in order to be a fun target... ^_^
    MYKREATION:
    http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/sh...=6217#post6217

Somnium est ubi nos ipsi primas agimus partes.

Images

So a biped would have two targets (front and rear), a tripod would have three, and a quad would have four. One of the targets has to be clearly visible and 'hittable' when the robot is facing an opponent.
    We thought of that
    Last edited by DresnerRobotics; 06-26-2008 at 05:38 PM.

4. Re: Target/Scoring System

We modified the spec yesterday to require two targets for a biped. We will decide exactly where the targets have to be for each configuration, but for a biped you will need one on the front, and one on the rear.
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

Images

At this point, number of target plates = number of legs. Figured I would point that out.

Re: Safety Limits

Actually, for added realism, you could have a pass-through system:

When a target area (let's say, for example, it's a biped with two arms - so four quadrants) get's enough hits, it can be literaly disabled with NO permanent damage.

Pass through system is very simple: It has, say, 6 header-pin sets per quad (six in and six out). So I plug my quad (arm or leg) into the pass-through, and the pass through onto the CPU.

When enough hits are registered, the pass-through system disconnects the DC. This is a very simple relay system. All Servos pull from the same point, so you can leave the signal and ground wires alone on the pass-through, but all positive DC points (the red wire on a standard servo cable) come to a single point. Should that quad get turned off, all servos lose power.

VERY real. Obvviously, this would suck if you got hit. By the same token, a good programmer could write SW that allows a bot to stand on one leg (hopping at this point would be cool, but it's more realistic to continue standing on one leg and shoot while you can - hoping for the best.)

Perhaps a visual indicator that your leg is about to go belly-up (in a very literal sense) for 3 seconds (call it shock), so the operator can switch to single-leg mode.

Again, a very real and easy-to-implement system. It would make for more... interesting game play. Dunno if that equates to "better" game play, but certainly more realistic (and as someone who has had his right foot literally broken off his leg (at the bone level, held on by tendons and skin), I can attest that it is quite possible to ambulate on one leg.)

Aw hell.... I'm getting all excited about this event.

I DON'T DO THAT SORT OF THING.

I don't like you guys any more.

Brain hurts me. Lazy brain make davey-days easy. No like hard work.

Tyb's enthusiasm is contagious, IMHO. Blame him.

You could also use a small microcontroller on your pass-through to make the limb start to "misbehave" as it takes damage... Wow. That is cool!
    I Void Warranties�

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    Tyb's enthusiasm is contagious, IMHO. Blame him.

You could also use a small microcontroller on your pass-through to make the limb start to "misbehave" as it takes damage... Wow. That is cool!
    Kind of like having it spaz out and disobeying original operation?

And yes Tyberius' enthusiasm is a very contagious effect, no cure in sight

Quote Originally Posted by Wingzero01w View Post
    Kind of like having it spaz out and disobeying original operation?

And yes Tyberius' enthusiasm is a very contagious effect, no cure in sight
    Yup - drop speed, drop torque, throw away packets, all the way to doing the opposite of what you commanded.

That kind of gradual failure is more in line with battle mechtronics, from what I've observed.
    I Void Warranties�

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dcalkins View Post
    Actually, for added realism, you could have a pass-through system:

When a target area (let's say, for example, it's a biped with two arms - so four quadrants) get's enough hits, it can be literaly disabled with NO permanent damage.

Pass through system is very simple: It has, say, 6 header-pin sets per quad (six in and six out). So I plug my quad (arm or leg) into the pass-through, and the pass through onto the CPU.

When enough hits are registered, the pass-through system disconnects the DC. This is a very simple relay system. All Servos pull from the same point, so you can leave the signal and ground wires alone on the pass-through, but all positive DC points (the red wire on a standard servo cable) come to a single point. Should that quad get turned off, all servos lose power.

VERY real. Obvviously, this would suck if you got hit. By the same token, a good programmer could write SW that allows a bot to stand on one leg (hopping at this point would be cool, but it's more realistic to continue standing on one leg and shoot while you can - hoping for the best.)

Perhaps a visual indicator that your leg is about to go belly-up (in a very literal sense) for 3 seconds (call it shock), so the operator can switch to single-leg mode.

Again, a very real and easy-to-implement system. It would make for more... interesting game play. Dunno if that equates to "better" game play, but certainly more realistic (and as someone who has had his right foot literally broken off his leg (at the bone level, held on by tendons and skin), I can attest that it is quite possible to ambulate on one leg.)

Aw hell.... I'm getting all excited about this event.

I DON'T DO THAT SORT OF THING.

I don't like you guys any more.

Brain hurts me. Lazy brain make davey-days easy. No like hard work.
    Bravo Dave, amazing idea. Definitely something I'd like to look into, and stays true to "Mechwarrior" style gameplay.

Thread Information