Trossen Distance Sensor  Top Banner
Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Wireless Video

Wireless Video

I'm seriously considering building a mech, as that type of combat robotics appeals to me a lot more than watching some 320 lb machine destroy my pride and joy. But I worry about the wireless video solutions we're talking about. Specifically, I worry that any fixed-frequency gear will be rendered useless at just the wrong moment, or that we'll have a collision between two semi-standard NTSC rebroadcasters.

I'm going to buy this used linksys 802.11g camera:
    http://www.unityelectronics.com/product-product_id/4602
    for $60 to see if I can cut it down by taking it out of the case and whatnot. The wired ethernet interface is a waste of space and weight, but this was the cheapest and smallest 802.11g I could find.

I'd imagine that a single 802.11g network could be shared by many of these cameras without danger of interference. And if the venue didn't want to spring for a single shared router, I can do a point-to-point network with my laptop.

I'm just tossing ideas out there. I can use this camera even if I don't manage to put it in a mech. But I wanted to start this thread as a place to discuss the video situation.

Images

Re: Wireless Video

That is a very nice find! If you could post pictures and rough size/weight estimates once you butcher it I would be very appreciative.

Don't worry about networking equipment, I plan on bringing PCs down with me to use for the event so I'll be sure to include a wireless router.
    Andrew Alter
    Trossen Robotics
    Join the Robotic Combat Revolution @ Mech Warfare!

It might be possible to fab a lens adapter and put decent glass on it too. Very small and reasonable. Nice find!
    I Void Warranties�

4. Trossen Dynamixel High Thread Banner
  5. Re: Wireless Video

I ordered a slightly newer version of that one from a Canadian source - I'll post here once I get it and start playing with it. The newer ones can go up to 640x480.
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

I didn't realize their warehouses were just 60 miles south of me, and was pleasantly surprised that the camera arrived late today. It is much larger than I thought, even without the casing. But it runs on 5v and is quite light.

The wireless card seems to be miniPCI or similar, attached via a locking socket to the back of the board. The camera itself is a tiny pinhole module, and the plastic lens is attached to the easily removed front case.

I took some pictures, but I'll wait to take better ones tomorrow in the light before I post them.

Re: Mech Wars Rules and Guidelines

If there's enough interest, I'm considering designing, and having manufactured through my contacts, a small 802.11g camera. I'm shooting for <$200, but in the onsie-twosie quantity we're talking about I couldn't get it much south of that. It's a fairly BOM-intensive product...

My goal would be a 420 line camera with real glass lens capable of leveraging all applicable advanced noise reduction inherent in .11g/pre-n. I'd like to use an imager that handles low-lux and impaired view well. Prehaps even integrated IR for night use, use in smoke-filled environments, and darkened battlefields.
    I Void Warranties�

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    If there's enough interest, I'm considering designing, and having manufactured through my contacts, a small 802.11g camera. I'm shooting for <$200, but in the onsie-twosie quantity we're talking about I couldn't get it much south of that. It's a fairly BOM-intensive product...

My goal would be a 420 line camera with real glass lens capable of leveraging all applicable advanced noise reduction inherent in .11g/pre-n. I'd like to use an imager that handles low-lux and impaired view well. Prehaps even integrated IR for night use, use in smoke-filled environments, and darkened battlefields.
    Is there anything tech related you can't do? I'm fairly certain your avatar is accurate.

Count me in on this for sure. What would be the minimum amount we would need produced? If we have a couple people interested but are still a few short I'll simply just buy the remaining quantity needed.
    Andrew Alter
    Trossen Robotics
    Join the Robotic Combat Revolution @ Mech Warfare!

Id be interested. $200 sounds like a fair price.

Thanks - I think.

Volume = size and dollars. As long as we acknowledge that we can't get it down as small as it *could* be, and we won't get it as cheap as it *could* be, we'll be ok. In effect they're just prototypes with no hope of living to see volume production...
    I Void Warranties�

Quote Originally Posted by Wingzero01w View Post
    Id be interested. $200 sounds like a fair price.
    It needs to be noted that's just an off-the-cuff target for what I visualize the BOM to be in my head. I won't be looking to profit from these - just my contribution to the burgeoning new "sport". I wouldn't be surprised if I miss the target by even as much as $50 by the time we're done with prototyping fees (spread over the order), and FOB (shipping, import, etc)... Just a target number to guage interest.
    I Void Warranties�

Thread Information