Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Airsoft Cannons

1. Airsoft Cannons

I'm going to start this thread off with a breakdown of one of the commercially available airsoft cannons for small R/C tanks.

I got the unit here: http://www.matotoys.com/canada/produ...products_id=59

Immediately upon arrival took one of them apart.

Here's a really big version of that image (open in new window to see it full size):

http://www.huv.com/Airsoft-01.jpg
    Inside, there is a small motor, a bunch of gears, and a final pinion gear that drives a rack (the rack is the white piece of plastic in the above image, just under the black cylinder). The black cylinder is the "hammer", which hits the BB and propels it out of the barrel. There is a large compression spring behind the hammer, and a smaller return spring at the front. They both appear to apply force to the hammer the same way, so I'm not really sure why there are two of them...

The pink tube is the barrel stub. Inside the pink tube is a small rubber fitting, which holds the BB in place while the hammer is being drawn back. You need to have a barrel mounted inside the pink tube in order for this assembly to work, since the barrel is the only thing that holds the rubber fitting from getting pushed out of the pink tube.

The barrel needs to have an inside diameter of just over 6mm (about 0.235"), and an outside diameter of about 0.332". I used a piece of brass tubing I had laying around that was about that size, but I had to wrap the end with a single layer of electrical tape to get it up to approximately the right size. I will machine a barrel properly on my lathe next.

Sitting on a piece of black tape is one of the 6mm airsoft BBs...

Here's what it looks like with the barrel inserted, and one BB sitting in the feed tube:

I'll add more details, including how it shoots, in my next post...
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

Re: Airsoft Cannons

Does the amunition actually get struck by a pin of some kind or is there air moving it? I cannot see (with this cannon anyhow) how a piantball could survive being hit by a pin.

Can you also post a vid perhaps of this thing against an empty soda can? Showing effective range?

Perhaps you can establish a benchmark test for Mecha missiles. ^_^
    MYKREATION:
    http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/sh...=6217#post6217

Somnium est ubi nos ipsi primas agimus partes.

3. Re: Airsoft Cannons

The BB is actually struck by the plastic hammer. I suspect the paintball BBs are for use in CO2 powered airsoft guns.

I will make a video of it firing, and post it here...

EDIT - I was wrong about the hammer - turns out it is air pressure... See this post for details.
    Last edited by JonHylands; 07-10-2008 at 02:51 AM.
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

Believe it or not, paintballs take alot more force then that. For co2 design im making it'll use a small 12 gram tank that gives around 50 shots, and i just basically copy the internals of one of my standerd paintball guns to scale.

Images

jonHylands: These are the airsoft barrels I received the other day, which I will fit to my J5 for testing. Also some USB rockets, similar inside to the airsoft cannons.

Here are some weapons that I have to use or hack.

Damn, They forgot to send the bb's so can't check it for you at present.

USB rocket launcher

Last edited by 4mem8; 06-26-2008 at 07:20 PM.
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

Images

You can google "airsoft gearboxes" to find stuff too. We found a good dealer in the states, but I can't find the URL right now. I'll look it up at work when I get a chance.

Images

Found it
    http://www.pointact.com/cat_34-Metal...x_for_AEG.html

You would have to make your own hopper for items like these.

Images

I've been trying to find a place to buy the M249 gearbox for over a year now. This looks like the perfect match for a pan & tilt shooter since it's flat on the bottom. I wouldn't know how to build a hopper and barrel system for it, but I suppose one of the genius's here could.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzlZ69VrygI"]YouTube - Star Airsoft M249 Gear Box Testing[/ame]

Images

Images

Good find Matt, some interesting parts there.
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

Thread Information