Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: robots who learn. what happened to them..

Images

robots who learn. what happened to them..

remember when the sony Albo ERS-7 came out in like 2000 and he could learn from experiences and he was fully 100% autonomous. he could see in 3D and he could learn without haveing to mess with motion editor or behavior control. well what happened to that shit..
    how come i dont see any robots that are autonomous i figured by 2008 all the robots would be way better than the old albo. but i notice that he is still more advanced than most if not all the other robots ive seen and he is still the only robot other than asimo who can learn by its self.
    i thought all the robots would have this tech by now. dose any body know of any robot who also learns by its self?

Images

Re: robots who learn. what happened to them..

AIBO wasnt as advanced as Sony would have you believe :P

He certainly didnt see in 3d, and all of his motions were pre-programmed. I'd wager Pleo is probably smarter in that regard, and neither truly 'learn'

Images

AIBO was a hit!.... among research professors and their students. Commercially, it was a flop. And he didn't learn per se, I believe it was more a scripted set of behaviors. (I never played with Aibo Life, only the SDK.) And no, it wasn't 3D.

And you have to define "Learn". There are research bots that truly do 'learn' in the traditional, trial and error + feedback way that toddlers do. They are just not commercial products.

And there are many autonomous bots. For instance, mini sumo hosts many of them. iRobot makes a vacuum thats autonomous. DARPA's Grand Challenge saw many vehicles that were autonomous. So what exactly are you looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by Sienna View Post
    And there are many autonomous bots. For instance, mini sumo hosts many of them. iRobot makes a vacuum thats autonomous. DARPA's Grand Challenge saw many vehicles that were autonomous.
    W.A.L.T.E.R. 1.0 was autonomous, and W.A.L.T.E.R. 2.0 will be also, as well as having much more that can be done. I only build autonomous robots.

8-Dale
    I can handle complexity. It's the simple things that confound me.
    Do everything in moderation, ESPECIALLY, moderation..
    Sometimes the only way to win, is not to play.. -- Stephen Falken

Images

sorry what i ment was i dont see any fully autonomous huminoids or dogs or commerical products.. ive seen people make their robot autonomous by puttin a pocket pc on the robots back and runnin him through the pocket pc. im just suprised that their is not more commerical autonomous robots.. other than the sumo robots.
    i wonder if i could get the program that made albo.. maby someone could re-modle the software to have it be compatable to other robots..

You can do it with less/more than a pocket PC. My little junkbot under construction is capable of simple autonomy/carrying out his mission, running a little 8 bit processor with on 4k of RAM and only eight pins total.

For AI/NN, he communicates over a telemetry link to the PC network with forward/backward error correction, and hybrid hidden Markov model neural networking.

Really, I think the big question is "where are the service bots?" The robots that do tasks for us to lighten our load. Those are what will drive true learning behaviors.
    I Void Warranties�

Images

Really, I think the big question is "where are the service bots?" The robots that do tasks for us to lighten our load. Those are what will drive true learning behaviors.
    Have you seen WALL-E yet? The robots that were in that movie were really um... interesting... They were all definitely service bots, but in an iRobot sense, not Jetson's sense. It was a much more believable yet attainable and foreseeable level for robotics. If anyone hasn't watched it yet, when you do, just pay attention to all of the robots (or more importantly, "types" of robots) that are in that movie.

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Alas, I haven't seen it yet. I got over-ruled and we went to see "Wanted" instead. The most aptly named movie of all time. It "Wanted" to be The Matrix - but wasn't. It "Wanted" to make a social commentary, but didn't. It "Wanted" to have ground-breaking special effects, but they put me to sleep. It "Wanted" not to suck, but couldn't make it there. [...]

I'd rather have seen Wall-E...

Although, I have to say, it might have been about artificial intelligence [Angelina Jolie], and that WAS the most robotic performance I've ever seen from Morgan Freeman...
    I Void Warranties�

Images

Yeah, Wanted had like only one really great scene in it. Take a wild guess

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Want you robot to Learn just program it like a human brain.

brianwhitworth.com/braincomputer.pdf

Thread Information