Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Arena Discussion

Images

Re: Arena Discussion

you guys need help. How hard is it to make these darn mech things RC, and you want to make them autonomous? I'll be happy if lisa can hold a freeking gun and limp around the arena. Heck...if she can just limp around...forget the gun...I'll be happy. Autonimous. (pulls out what little hair I have left, and then goes to work on the hair on chin.)

DB

2. Re: Arena Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by darkback2 View Post
    you guys need help. How hard is it to make these darn mech things RC, and you want to make them autonomous? I'll be happy if lisa can hold a freeking gun and limp around the arena. Heck...if she can just limp around...forget the gun...I'll be happy. Autonimous. (pulls out what little hair I have left, and then goes to work on the hair on chin.)

DB
    Well, I don't think the general consensus is to make these things autonomous any time soon.

I doubt MicroRaptor will be autonomous in year one, at least not as far as it can compete in this competition. It is something that I'm aiming for, because of course autonomy and AI is the whole reason I got into robotics in the first place.
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

Quote Originally Posted by JonHylands View Post
    I doubt MicroRaptor will be autonomous in year one, at least not as far as it can compete in this competition. It is something that I'm aiming for, because of course autonomy and AI is the whole reason I got into robotics in the first place.
    My hope is that year two we end up with two competitions- automomous and piloted, with dual-entry allowed. I'm also skeptical that anyone (me included) will really pull off a viable autonomous competitor.

On a related note, if we do end up with autonomous-only rules, I would strongly favor requiring that the bot be completely sef-contained - no help from a remote pc.

5. Re: Arena Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by A-Bot View Post
    On a related note, if we do end up with autonomous-only rules, I would strongly favor requiring that the bot be completely sef-contained - no help from a remote pc.
    That will make it an order of magnitude more difficult, since we won't (without spending $5K on servos) be able to have an onboard PC capable of running something like RoboRealm.
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

On a related note, if we do end-up with human controlled remote controlled toys, I would strongly favor requiring that an ice-pick be inserted into the frontal lobe of the human controlling the "robot", and that it be jiggled frantically back and forth throughout the contest...

I disagree, Jon, I think it's many orders of magnitude (A) and (B) will do nothing but destroy any possibility of autonomy in robots weighing less than several hundred pounds for at least a decade, and destroy the ultimate future of all real autonomy in robotics. I think the ice pick solution should put things on a more even keel, though.
    Last edited by Adrenalynn; 07-14-2008 at 10:49 AM.

7. Re: Arena Discussion

What about doing something with a bridge? Just like a suspended obstacle that you could get knocked off of or something...I could probably come up with a few simple designs on Solidworks if you guys give me some themes and size constraints to work with.

Images

maybe make the buildings out of hebel, as it is pretty crumbly, very light and easy to build with... if by chance a stray biped fell on top, the hebel might crumple and break.....

otherwise get a carpenter to make replica buildings out of thin balsa or something, punching etc would break the wood and make it much more realistic.
    Hey Hamlet: 2b or not 2b = $FF

Images

elios: Balsa is good but it is also very expensive now and considering the amount of buildings in the arena it could get costly.
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

Images

Also have to consider that we'll be running matches all 3 days, arena probably wont last if its destructible.

Thread Information