View Poll Results: Rate of Fire Rules

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fully Automatic.

    10 32.26%
  • Fully Automatic with a limits on target/scoring rate.

    2 6.45%
  • Burst Fire with a limit on rate/quantity of fire

    10 32.26%
  • Semi Automatic.

    5 16.13%
  • Semi Automatic with a limit on rate of fire.

    4 12.90%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 92

Thread: Rate of Fire Discussion

  1. Re: Rate of Fire Discussion

    I can implement whatever kind of limits we need in the slave scoring module, including limiting the number of hits over a unit time. Sienna, I see your point, but to a certain extent we need to simplify things in this first round.

    Tris and Quads already have such a huge stability advantage over bipeds, it seems a shame to allow them to carry overwhelming firepower also.
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,198
    Images
    952
    Rep Power
    146

    Re: Rate of Fire Discussion

    Basically while I'm trying to push this competition to happen, I dont want to be solely responsible for making all the rules, I want the participant's feedback. Currently there is not a restriction on it, however people brought up concerns regarding it, hence the poll to get further feedback.

    I am somewhat on the fence, while I agree a lot of things will be balanced simply due to tradeoffs having to be made in terms of payload.... I would hate to see a big heavy mech, barely capable of walking sitting in a corner panning back and forth. The second its enemy peaks around the corner it fires of 10 rounds per second and insta-kills the enemy mech. That wouldn't be much fun to fight against :P

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,198
    Images
    952
    Rep Power
    146

    Re: Rate of Fire Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by JonHylands View Post
    Tris and Quads already have such a huge stability advantage over bipeds, it seems a shame to allow them to carry overwhelming firepower also.
    This is also a very good point.

    I would wager burst fire would be a good compromise. I originally voted semi-auto as thats what I personally had in mind, but thinking more towards the big picture I would change my vote to burst fire (even though I wouldnt be using it)

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    310
    Images
    49
    Rep Power
    56

    Re: Rate of Fire Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by JonHylands View Post
    I can implement whatever kind of limits we need in the slave scoring module, including limiting the number of hits over a unit time. Sienna, I see your point, but to a certain extent we need to simplify things in this first round.

    Tris and Quads already have such a huge stability advantage over bipeds, it seems a shame to allow them to carry overwhelming firepower also.
    Do you realize how easy your tail will allow you to go 'tri' Jon?

    And realistically, how unstable is even a biped that is crouched?

    I think the "more stable" line is utter bull honestly. Almost no one is going to be firing on the move. If they can, kudos to them! And if you aren't moving, I am sorry, you are stable. One, two, three, or four legs.

  5. Re: Rate of Fire Discussion

    Nope - bipeds are not necessarily stable, even when they are standing still. Bipeds are incredibly easy to knock over, compared to anything with three or more legs, whether they are moving or not.
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

  6. #16

    Re: Rate of Fire Discussion

    I'm a stable biped, so I know it's possible. It's all in the software. Sure it's hard, but this is an ambitious project to say the least..

    To me, the first-year competition should be about fun and experimentation. If the rules are too restrictive then we won't learn as much.

  7. Re: Rate of Fire Discussion

    Hi All-
    I just got turned on to this discussion by dcalkins. Have to say the event has me excited and I can't wait for robogames next year.

    One thing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is where are all these little balls going to end up? If you have full auto and are empting 1000 balls at your opponent, that means there will be a 1000 balls spread across the course. Have you ever tried to get your bot to walk over bb's? Sure it makes for great slapstick, but you won't be able to move around quickly to get the upper hand and best shot. This is why I vote for semi-auto w/ limited rate of fire

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,198
    Images
    952
    Rep Power
    146

    Re: Rate of Fire Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by TOhm View Post
    Hi All-
    I just got turned on to this discussion by dcalkins. Have to say the event has me excited and I can't wait for robogames next year.

    One thing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is where are all these little balls going to end up? If you have full auto and are empting 1000 balls at your opponent, that means there will be a 1000 balls spread across the course. Have you ever tried to get your bot to walk over bb's? Sure it makes for great slapstick, but you won't be able to move around quickly to get the upper hand and best shot. This is why I vote for semi-auto w/ limited rate of fire

    Welcome TOhm!

    Jon Hylands came up with an excellent solution for that exact problem, and that is designing feet that curve down at the edge enough to provide clearance for the BBs to roll underneath the foot. The floor contact would be limited to whatever thickness the foot is made out of and only at the edge of the 'toes.

    Here are some renders of the rough concept:

    http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/ga..._concept_2.jpghttp://forums.trossenrobotics.com/ga...t2_topdown.jpghttp://forums.trossenrobotics.com/ga...cept2_back.jpg


    If you have any questions or would like to simply talk shop, feel free to post away =)

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    477
    Images
    63
    Rep Power
    61

    Re: Rate of Fire Discussion

    I voted for semi-auto, but I've been thinking and reading your posts and I think burst would be a good compromise. I don't think we need auto, in my opinion it will be kinda boring after a fewminutes of this.

    That foot desing is pretty cool. Kudos.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Crabfu's Garage.. <_<
    Posts
    302
    Images
    12
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Rate of Fire Discussion

    Honestly I think semi would be much more boring then full auto. Especially if the bots arn't all that accurate.. Pop. miss. pop. miss. pop. ohh he winged him, but missed the target plate.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Arena Discussion
    By DresnerRobotics in forum Mech Warfare
    Replies: 265
    Last Post: 05-24-2010, 11:08 PM
  2. Good open discussion about Robotic Vision Systems
    By Matt in forum Software and Programming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-21-2006, 05:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •