Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flying with combat robots

flying with combat robots

Given that RoboGames will be on the opposite end of the country from me, I'm concerned about being able to fly with a mean-looking mech. Surely folks have dealt with this issue before. Someone please enlighten me.

Images

Re: flying with combat robots

First of all I insist you do not power it up for the security checkpoint and show them what it's built for...

No but seriously, I would suggest probably packing it VERY well (Trossen did an awesome job with all their bots, unpacking them was like unwrapping a mummy) and shipping it off beforehand. I'm pretty sure you could work something out with the event organizers as to where you can ship it.

I would also be willing to receive, unpack, check/confirm, and make ready 'bots for regulars here on the forum. I live a couple hours from Robogames. I have a ~300sq-ft lab, 400 sq-ft pseudo shop, and about 1500sq-ft of climate controlled storage. Just as a favor for fellow community members.
    I Void Warranties�

Quote Originally Posted by Tyberius View Post
    First of all I insist you do not power it up for the security checkpoint and show them what it's built for...
    Lol!

Famous last words:
    "And here's my autonomous color-assault mode!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tyberius View Post
    I'm pretty sure you could work something out with the event organizers as to where you can ship it.
    Thanks, I would be interested in learning more about that option. It'would be a little scary sending it off like that though...

I fly with my robonovas all the time.

Get an aluminum case and check it as baggage. Let them know you have a gun in your checked baggage.

It will arrive on time, and perfectly handled (due to the gun, not the robot.) No BS. You can fly with real guns as checked bags. They are handled very, very well.

Thanks for the replies. I guess this will be a bigger concern when I have a robot and a plane ticket.

Images

Just a note, my cousin just go arrested for trying to take an airsoft gun onto a plane. He forgot it was in his bag.

Make sure you check the gun!

He is in a world of hurt right now...course he is a class "A" moron, so I'm ROFLMAO

DB

"Sorry - I just forgot I had an Uzi in my carry-on. Oh - and I didn't really 'mean anything by' painting the orange muzzle black with a Sharpie" [Snicker]
    I Void Warranties�

A few years ago I was late trying to catch a flight at LAX, (stupid traffic), and ran through the airport, security, and got to the gate with a minute to spare then they said the flight will be delayed. So I reached back to see if I have enough money to buy one of those really inexpensive airport beers and noticed I still have my big monster Gerber multi-tool on my hip. Solid Steel and not a beep from the metal detectors.

Then again, when I went down to SF for a robot contest with some mini sumos, I got the 3rd and 4th degree from security both ways about these robots. I carried them on.

Thanks Dave for the pointer about checking them, and saying that they are gun. Haven't thought about that one before.

Pete

We had to rush some RAID arrays betwixt datacenters and hand carried them. No way you're checking customer data with the monkeyboys handling the baggage.

Three of us ended-up spending six hours in a room being interrogated. [roll eyes] The big bad evil raid arrays. I guess they had something against Seagate? [snicker] We'd probably still be there if it hadn't turned out one of the "supervisors" we eventually had come in was someone who used to work for me. They sent him in because they thought he'd understand what we were talking about.
    I Void Warranties�

Thread Information