Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which kit

Images

Which kit

OK, as most of you know by now I am just getting started with bots. I really like the idea of the Mech Wars. It provides me with a goal and a dead line and an excuse to go across the country next June (like I don't do that a few times a year anyway).
    So, I am looking at a couple of kits to get me started and although I plan to do a bit more research on my own, thought I would toss the question out there ... which kit is the better to start with?
    I am looking at the Bioloid and the biped Scout. Have I missed anything?
    I like the Scout and the servo erector set with the HS-5645 servos and am leaning that way.
    Since time is critical I would like to start with a kit ... no time to re-invent the wheel.
    Since weight is a critical issue ... I will need strong servos.
    Since all the details are not nailed down ... flexibility in design will be critical.
    All suggestions and opinions are appreciated!
    Ed

Re: Which kit

I have the bioloid kit, and I'm quite happy with it. The main feature that drove me to it was the ability to get feedback from the servos. Also, the daisy-chain wiring scheme will simplify the wiring greatly.

While I have not actually built a walker of any type, I have to imagine that trying to walk without position and torque feedback would be like climbing stairs numbed from the neck down. The HS-5645 don't appear to have any feedback at all.

Images

Unfortunately if you're going with a Lynxmotion SES based system, the SES alone is pretty heavy. I believe the scout has a hard enough time walking with just a battery as payload using 5645's, let alone once you add a camera and weapons.

Any 'hitec type' servo based 5dof+ walker is probably going to have to be running 5990TGs to be effective.

Images

I don't own any kits but my own made bots, but I can definately advise the Bioloid kit.
    Seems to put a tick at every point on your list.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve life, press three" - Alice Kahn

Resistance is futile! (if < 1)

Images

Thank you guys ... just the info I needed!
    Sounds like I am leaning toward the Bioloid kit.
    All suggestions are welcomed! Keep them coming.

Images

One thing to note with the Bioloid system is that you will most likely not be able to use the stock software for a competition like Mech Wars very effectively. It's possible, but will be pretty limited.

You can reflash the CM-5 though and/or program it directly in C, or look at different controllers entirely.

Images

Well, I am almost afraid to ask, is there a kit out there that would be "easy" to adapt.
    I fully expect to make compromises on some issues, but with the learning curve being more vertical than steep, any time saved in one area is time gained for other areas. Ultimately, I would like to just be far enough along to know that my Mech isn't going to just stand still and be a target the first year and then see what works. Year 2 on the other hand I expect to dominate! As you can see I have a patient plan for world domination.

Images

I would wager that more important than the kit, is a solid grasp of an applicable programming language. If I had to pick an 'easy kit' it would probably be a scout based on the Basic Atom, if only because that language is very easy to learn.

I have only played with a couple bioloid servos so I don't have any direct experience with the kit so I can't really comment on them.

I have build two bi-peds using the Lynxmotion SES, the Lynx 209 and Bi-ped Pete robots (I am the one that did the original robots for them). I was able to get them to walk with the HS-5645 servos, and I would have to say they are the minimum that will need. I am going to try to get mine to work for this event so I can see how much payload I can get on them.

If you have a little extra money get the higher torque servos. When it is all said and done, the more power you have, the happier you will be.

The one thing I do know, teaching a robot to walk does take a lot of time. Kind of like teaching a baby how to walk. It doesn't happen overnight.

Another thing to look at is the RoboNova kit. It has a lot of built in walking routines, and I am pretty sure it can handle this event. I am going to see if mine can.

With enough motivation, I might show up with an army of robots to this event.

Pete

Images

Ok, so I haven't tried the bioloid but I will tell you what I think about the lyxmotion SES.

I have only used low end-servos (that means no feedback wahtsoever you pay for what you get ) It was pretty easy to learn. But then again, I only had programed routines, nothing that can adjust itself whilst walking. So I didn't do any heavy programing to get it there. I think the biggest thing you are going to face for this event is the programing. And you're better off to learn to program than to pay someone to do it.

Even if it's simple routines with the lynxmotion Scout (you can put a Basic Atom and make routines so that when you put the analog stick on a PS2 controller the bot uses the command to go fowardand the 'X' is for shooting. I think you could get by with this.

Sam

Thread Information