Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Sonar and why?

Which Sonar and why?

Time to add some additional sensors, so:

MaxSonar, Devantech, Parallax - which and why?

TIA!
    I Void Warranties�

robot maker Guest

Re: Which Sonar and why?

i have tried srf-04,srf-02 parallax ping and nothing comes close to lv-maxsonar-z1 proformance,speed and current.only thing they need is I2C type,
    beam width it very good,example for current take srf-04 one of the most popular sonars current is 30 to 50 ma, on lv-maxsonar-ez1 is 2 ma plus serial ,analog,and pwm outputs ,and you can use as the same as a srf-04 v+,gnd,ping,echo
    here is info on beam angle plots of different sonars comparing to lv-maxsonar-ez1
    http://www.maxbotix.com/Performance_Data.html,i bought 30 about a month ago at $20 each

The Maxbotics was the direction I was leaning. Specs on the SRF10 are somewhat tempting.
    I Void Warranties�

robot maker Guest

i also seem to like srf10 because of proformance and cdr cell they have,but working on a very good light detection circuit
    but for a robot nobody beats 2 ma current of the maxsonars,but for my sonar ring using srf-02 mostly its easy to scan 16 in 12 inch ring on I2C BUS, junun.org has the best prices and I2C TO USB adapter.i think the srf10 is $70 each and current near 15 ma,batteries are the most important for a long running robot,and its good to keep the current as low as you can for sensors ,motors and electronics,oops looks like from the proformance data srf10 is not so great compare to maxsonars type

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    The Maxbotics was the direction I was leaning. Specs on the SRF10 are somewhat tempting.

I wouldn't trust Maxbotics published data on their competitors... Has to be a truly independant source before it means anything...

Thanks for the link - but I wouldn't buy any place other than Trossen. Thank you though!
    I Void Warranties�

robot maker Guest

i sometime buy at trossens like phidgets boards and some of the sensors,but i check the internet for the lowest prices i can get and buy in bulk,unless i only need 1 or 2 of them for testing or like i2c to usb adapter,for maxsonars i bought from them from maxsonar for about $600 for 30 of them,trossen has 30 for about $900
    since i have many robots i will be building,i look for the best prices
    also good way to get great prices like the maxsonar that i did to find others to buy some total was $2000 for 100,but they have them for $250 for 10 still much cheaper then any other sites
    acroname seems to have the highest prices on most of thier stuff

I wouldn't trust Maxbotics published data on their competitors... Has to be a truly independant source before it means anything...

Thanks for the link - but I wouldn't buy any place other than Trossen. Thank you though!
    Last edited by robot maker; 07-22-2008 at 01:09 AM. Reason: wording

I understand. As far as I'm concerned there's more to price than the published retail price. Service, support, response time, quality of people and company in general. I'm willing to pay a few dollars for that.

If you're buying in volume it's always worth dropping a line to someone like Trossen to see what they can do in volume.

Thanks, though!
    I Void Warranties�

robot maker Guest

$150 to $300 is not a few dollars
    best it came fast,shipping was cheaper,and when you get it from the factory it always better,only you need to buy alot
    will try your idea next time,but since trossen has to buy from the factory,i might not get a better deal
    wednesday getting my sensor boards i design,cant wait ,ordered 200 since lot of my friends wanted some for thier robots

I understand. As far as I'm concerned there's more to price than the published retail price. Service, support, response time, quality of people and company in general. I'm willing to pay a few dollars for that.

If you're buying in volume it's always worth dropping a line to someone like Trossen to see what they can do in volume.

Thanks, though!

Images

I have used the parallax Ping))) and the maxbotics sensors. Between the two I prefer the maxbotics. It's smaller and since it has an A/D output there isn't much processor overhead needed to play with it. The Ping))) only has a PWM output which forced me to wait and read the full pulse into the processor, during which time I couldn't do anything else.

The Maxbotics sensor also has a PWM output, A/D, and serial. It's a pretty cool device and is cheaper than the Ping))). The Ping))) seemed to have better response up close (around and inch or so) though. The Maxbotics sensor goes wonky if you're sensing closer than 6".

Quote Originally Posted by jes1510 View Post
    The Ping))) seemed to have better response up close (around and inch or so) though. The Maxbotics sensor goes wonky if you're sensing closer than 6".
    This is why I use the Ping. It gives really accurate and consistent readings, and it detects very narrow objects. I haven't had to try a bunch of different range finders because the Ping works so darn well and is easy to use.

Of course I2C is a no-brainer if you need a bunch and I/O ports are limited...

Thread Information