Thread: Avrdude error - Artibotix - board not working

1. Post Avrdude error - Artibotix - board not working

Hi everyone,

my arbotix board stop suddently to work

At this stage I can't upload any code that it gives me this error:

avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0002
    0x7d != 0x3e
    avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

Even when I try to upload the most basic code (like blink etc...). It is very strage as yesterday everything was working no problem.

Also dynamanager does not find the motor when I try to connect to it.

I have another arbotix board, where I can upload the code but the motors don't react to it. This happens a month ago, and also don't know what is the problem. Are these board this sensitive? What can be the problem? In both cases the boards stop working suddenly...

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Re: Avrdude error - Artibotix - board not working

In things like this, it always helps to have additional information, like:
    What version of Arduino IDE are you using? Windows/Mac/Linux? Version...

Things to check, make sure you have Arbotix something selected as the current board type.
    Check the jumper settings for power. That is do you have external power connected or trying to use USB power.
    Do you have the correct Serial port selected?

Anything connected to the board? If so try removing everything connected, except the FTDI cable and see if it works.

Also do you have an XBee connected to the board? The FTDI won't work if XBee is plugged in.

Sometimes I have had the bootloader fail... I usually use a AVR programmer like the one Trossen sells. I typically use this instead of the FTDI cable as it does not need bootloader, plus you can reflash the bootloader if you want it and it works even if the XBee is plugged in.

Again hard to know what might cause boards to fail. Maybe to high of voltage applied to it. Maybe something shorted out...

You might try emailing support at trossen and see if they have any ideas.

Good luck

3. Re: Avrdude error - Artibotix - board not working

Hi KurtEck

Thanks a lot for your answer. I will send an email to trossen support and see if they have any ideas.
    Just to answer to your questions I am using:
    Arduino 1.0.6
    Windows
    I have Arbotix selected as the current board type.
    I have external power
    I have the correct Serial port selected (COM3)
    i dont have anything connected to the board
    no Xbee
    And I am not currently using a
    AVR programmer, only a FTDI232 connected. I could get the one you suggested, but it is still quite strange that it stopped working, as was fine for quite a while.

Thanks anyway, if you have any other idea let me know!

Good luck.

Again as I mentioned, I more often then not use the AVR programmer like: http://www.trossenrobotics.com/p/USB...rogrammer.aspx
    It is faster, does not need bootloader..

If you have not already done so, I would also try rebooting your PC... Note: I have also had one of the FTDI USB adapters that also worked as XBee holders fail, so if you have a different cable you might try it. Also it goes sort of without saying, but I would double check that the FTDI cable is connected correctly (right direction and not offset by a pin or so)

5. Re: Avrdude error - Artibotix - board not working

Hi KurtEck,

I got the AVR programmer...I read info on the trossen robotic page, but couldn't find indications on how to wire it to the arbotix board.
    http://learn.trossenrobotics.com/arb...or-the-arbotix.

Do you know any tutorial, documentation?

thanks a lot

The product page for the programmer has a few links: http://www.trossenrobotics.com/p/USB...rogrammer.aspx
    Including: http://learn.trossenrobotics.com/arb...or-the-arbotix

Since you are using Arduino 1.0.6 than I assume the proper programmer (AVR ISP mkII(serial)) is properly included in the list

You plug the 6 pin connector into the programmer and into the programmer port as shown in:
    http://learn.trossenrobotics.com/arb...view#&panel1-7

Here is an old picture showing it on one of my boards:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arbotix-M.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	7188

Hope that helps

7. Re: Avrdude error - Artibotix - board not working

Thanks Kurt! Unfortunately no luck and both boards don't work anymore...I have been using dynamixel only since a couple of months...and arbotix was working fine,until it stop, with no apparent reason.

Generally what do you use to control dynamixel? Do you arduino on arbotix or CM9.04 boards or soemthing else?

Sorry to hear that... You might again contact support at trossen and see if they will do anything...

What do I use?

I have done the work to convert the PhantomX (Phoenix code base) to be able to work with the OpenCM9.04 boards as it would be good to get people over to boards that are supported and have more horese power than 8 bit AVR 16mhz boards... Besides they are cheaper.

However the normal OpenCM904C boards don't have AX/MX connectors, nor easy way to plug in power nor XBee... So for my own usage (so far) I have built my own AX HUB with an XL320 connector:

Name:	Hub.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	7189
    I did not populate the screw termainal yet, but the idea is to use an XL320 cable to connect this to the 904C board, to power the board, plus bring the TTL level signals from the 904C to the servos...

I also built my own XBee adapter:

Name:	XBee.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	7190
    That hopefully there is a standard 4 wire jumper from the 4 wire serial plug on the 904 to it... Both adapters use the 1cm grid for mounting holes so can mount to the plates of the PhantomX...

But what do I do for my own stuff is to use Teensy boards like T3.6 or T3.2 by PJRC. I have my own boards that I have fabricated at places like OSHPark, which I than experiment with. These boards are for my own use usage as I am not an EE and many times I don't go through and make sure everything works in all cases... I just like to tinker.

Examples:

Name:	T3.6-RPI-Hat-V3.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	7191
    This is one I did that uses a T3.6 and works as a HAT for an RPI board (or other boards that use the same expansion connector, like ODroids and UP boards).

Name:	Teensy-Arbotix-Pro-V03.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	7192
    Or a 3d layout from Diptrace of a board that was setup to semi emulate the Arbotix Pro...

At the current point I am working with an Robotis OpenCR1 board as I am doing stuff with the Turtlebot 3

FWIW, I use the OpenCM 9.04, and I use a Teensy with a custom adapter board.

Thread Information