Trossen XBee  Top Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aldebaran's NAO gets a price tag (and review)

Images

Aldebaran's NAO gets a price tag (and review)

Looks like there is finally a price tag announced for Aldebaran's NAO:

http://www.robotic-lab.com/en/2008/0...tive-overview/

The price tag is quite a bit of a shocker, but there's also a lot that went into this guy. Check out the PDF:

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/...807.3223v1.pdf

With the NAO replacing the AIBO for RoboCup, the announcement of the price tag gets me wondering if this is still true. I can't see too many RoboCup teams being able to afford to drop around $15k for a humanoid, unless they're sponsered by some corp or something. Did anyone here if there was any change about NAO and RoboCup?

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Re: Aldebaran's NAO gets a price tag (and review)

I like the ideas at the hips and ankles. I'd like to see some vids of it. They say it'll replace the AIBO. What about the QRIO? While $15,000 dollars is not the million the QRIO demands it may as well be...

Woo Hoo! Found a video page: http://www.aldebaran-robotics.com/pageVideo.php

Ashetically it looks great. I don't like the heads with eyes. They look perpetually surprised. I do like the hands/grippers! I wonder about the function. It looks like they open and close with gravity.

^_^
    Last edited by MYKL; 07-25-2008 at 11:02 AM.
    MYKREATION:
    http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/sh...=6217#post6217

Somnium est ubi nos ipsi primas agimus partes.

Images

15k dose seem kinda high i saw an old video they made about a year ago on youtube about them giving an interview saying it might be about 4k. which would be more along the lines for a huminoid who is 22' inchs tall

4. Trossen Force Sensor  Thread Banner

Wow, $15k for a French Robosapien...

Just kidding, I know it's pretty sophisticated. I guess they can charge an outrageous amount since they've been picked as the new RoboCup provider.

I doubt you'll ever see an "Add to Cart" button for these though.

I agree... as cool as it is, $15k is a little steep imho... nice vids though, and another cool robot... BUT one won't be in my stable anytime soon...

7. Re: Aldebaran's NAO gets a price tag (and review)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post

With the NAO replacing the AIBO for RoboCup, the announcement of the price tag gets me wondering if this is still true. I can't see too many RoboCup teams being able to afford to drop around $15k for a humanoid, unless they're sponsered by some corp or something. Did anyone here if there was any change about NAO and RoboCup?
    Hi all,

Just to clarify some confusion:

The price for the 'Academics Edition' (with gripping hands) is 10k euros.

RoboCup teams get a bundle price that is significantly less than this.

Existing RoboCup teams can get major upgrades at a fraction of this cost.

Servicing of the above has been free of charge.

For 2009 we intend to make them available to the general public at a price in the 3-4k euros range.

We had a great time with the RoboCup teams in Suzhou and learnt much from the experience. As ever all the feedback from the teams goes straight into the next production run, and we hope for Nao to have a few iterations more before being widely available. We care pasionately about our users and have always seeked to give them outstanding value.

Here is a video of one of BreDoBros goals at RoboCup2008
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=H0mV5z98fj0

(The opposing team had developed their own walk engine, which err, didn't move that day)

Chris

Last edited by fontenille; 07-25-2008 at 10:53 AM.

Bon Jour, ^_^

The price difference is good news. These are very impressive little featz of engineering. Will the 4000-5000 euro version come with your software package that has face recognition? Do you have video of the grippers...gripping?

Beautiful bots!

^_^
    MYKREATION:
    http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/sh...=6217#post6217

Somnium est ubi nos ipsi primas agimus partes.

9. Re: Aldebaran's NAO gets a price tag (and review)

Hello,

I would buy one of those in a heart beat. Hopefully they will be released next year and hobby robotics will take off to a new level.

Asbrandsson

If the dollar makes a massive turnaround I may be able to afford one.

11. Re: Aldebaran's NAO gets a price tag (and review)

Quote Originally Posted by MYKL View Post
    Bon Jour, ^_^

The price difference is good news. These are very impressive little featz of engineering. Will the 4000-5000 euro version come with your software package that has face recognition? Do you have video of the grippers...gripping?

Beautiful bots!

^_^
    Hi MYKL,

Face recognition is part of the standard collection of software in the current version. I can't speculate as to exactly what will be in the release version, but I doubt it will be dropped. Sorry, no video of the grippers yet. He doens't have enormous strength in the arms, but he can lift himself up, or carry a 'thin' can of soda.

Chris

Thread Information