Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another sentient turret

1. Another sentient turret

Hi everybody,

I'm very new and am sure to ask some stupid questions in the not too distant future.

I was completely blown away by the videos of the Motion-tracking paintball turret that has been circulating the internet. Right then and there I decided I must build one.

For me this is purely a learning project. I'm going to start by building a R/C operated turret. Once the kinks are worked out I'll move to programming the motion detection control scheme. When it comes time to move to computer operated I'm looking at the Phidgets 4 servo controller.

As it stands now it's a pile of components with a rough idea in my head.

I've got a lot of learning to do, and this site looks like a great resource.

Re: Another sentient turret

Welcome aboard, CTScan!

Maybe describe how you're thinking about putting it together and people can chime in with their sage words of wisdom and save you a few dollars before you go order-crazy?

Regardless, welcome to the TRC!

I'm going to move this to General discussion until you get your project going.
    Last edited by Adrenalynn; 07-30-2008 at 12:17 AM.
    I Void Warranties�

Images

Ineedacatscan: Welcome aboard, This is a great forum to be on, Many great minds here, and providing that you explain your idea's in detail you will generally get results.
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

4. Re: Another sentient turret

I'd like to say I hadn't gone order-crazy......I'd like to be able to say that.

Here's what I'm envisioning. Forgive the crude MS Paint drawing. I'm completely open to suggestions.

Unfortunately the paintball gun I have is semi auto. So I'm thinking about switching that servo to a motor. I'm also not sold on the tilt mechanism. I think it'll work but I wonder if a chain drive is a better way to go.

Not shown is the CO2 canister or the paintball hopper. Forgive the scale of the drawing I quickly through it together

Have you weighed everything you want to move up and down?

I've built chaindrives with the #25 roller chain parts here at Trossen, and the Banebots motor, but i don't think you're going to get the accuracy you want that way.
    I Void Warranties�

6. Re: Another sentient turret

I haven't weighed anything yet.

Gun weight is just shy of 3 pounds. Call it 6.5 with tank

Let's say for the sake of argument the mount weight is 2 pounds.

Total tilt weight will be in the 7-9 pound range.

The servo I'm planning on using has a torque rating of 343 oz/in (HS-805BB)

Yeah, just no way that's going to work well without gearing that servo a BUNCH.

I have an 805BB here and it will handle 1.5/2lb tilt by itself, at 2lb it's really sloppy, at 1.5 it's almost acceptable accuracy.

Maybe you'll find it to be OK if you take the tank off the gun and put it on the base with a steel braid hose. I used to have a two tank setup on my back for the autococker that way, back in the very early days of the autoblender - err - autococker.
    I Void Warranties�

robot maker Guest

might look at the pan and tilt systems at servocity,that where i get most of my servo's gears and parts from

I think the highest load rating I saw at first blush there was 5lb recommended last time I was there. Do they have some that fit the design criteria?

They're also pretty pricey at the higher end for my budget. If I could add $7 worth of braided hose and not have to swing half the weight around, I'd be inclined to go there first.
    I Void Warranties�

10. Re: Another sentient turret

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    Yeah, just no way that's going to work well without gearing that servo a BUNCH.

I have an 805BB here and it will handle 1.5/2lb tilt by itself, at 2lb it's really sloppy, at 1.5 it's almost acceptable accuracy.

Maybe you'll find it to be OK if you take the tank off the gun and put it on the base with a steel braid hose. I used to have a two tank setup on my back for the autococker that way, back in the very early days of the autoblender - err - autococker.

I'm by no means a physicist but if the pivot point is at the CG wouldn't the actual load the servo is subjected to be much less than total weight.

I'm picturing a seesaw. It takes much less energy to lift one end the farther you are from the fulcrum.

Thread Information