Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New rover find - For sale by a US university student

1. New rover find - For sale by a US university student

http://www.lebeaux.biz/ball-e.html

Looks like a decent little rover. Not many details though.

I'd like to know what he is using for the micro controller, and am curious how he can offer it at only $200 compared to almost 500 for a Surveyor SRV-1
    Last edited by jafoca; 07-30-2008 at 01:37 PM.

Images

Re: New rover find - For sale by a US university student

The glasses are cool, but ...
    From ad:
    This type of Video glasses does not hinder the user from also going about other daily activity,
    The robot would be safe, I on the otherhand would bump into everything

Images

Looks pretty cool! I assume their so cheap because he's not making a whole lot off of them.. less markup
    This ain't nothing but a summer jam
    Brown skin and cinnamon tans, whoa!
    This ain't nothing but a summer jam
    We're gonna party as much as we can
    Hey-yeah, ooh, hey-yeah
    Summer jam alright
    Hey-yeah, ooh, hey-yeah

Images

Looks like it's based on the robby RP5 chassis.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve life, press three" - Alice Kahn

Resistance is futile! (if < 1)

Definitely a widened RP5, ScuD.

It's a nice little turn-key, but I can see how he can make his price-point.
    I Void Warranties�

6. Re: New rover find - For sale by a US university student

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    Definitely a widened RP5, ScuD.

It's a nice little turn-key, but I can see how he can make his price-point.

I have not seen the rp5 before, but yes I agree.

What do you suppose he is using for control?

Wireless serial sender. You can get a 500' pair at Sparkfun for under $10.

Here's the RP5 chassis: http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store...ssis-Only.aspx

I have the 2.4Ghz vide wireless sender/receiver he's using, as well as that exact camera (and the step up from that camera). The wireless sender/receiver is $35 in quant 25. It's pretty spotty.

The camera is $30 in quant 1.

Figure a PIC or even small ATMEL board is just a few dollars custom after layout charges.

His cost in low volume is ~115-120. Less in higher volume. But he has written some user friendly (apparently) software for it. His pricing on options is very high, one could do better in the TR store here, BUT he's turn-keying them which makes for a higher price - his expense in R&D.

It doesn't look like a bad deal for a turn-key starter package. I don't know what the reliability/lifespan is of the RP5, but I would probably consider his package even though I could build it for less, if I had the application for it.
    I Void Warranties�

8. Re: New rover find - For sale by a US university student

Quote Originally Posted by jafoca View Post
    http://www.lebeaux.biz/ball-e.html

Looks like a decent little rover. Not many details though.

I'd like to know what he is using for the micro controller, and am curious how he can offer it at only $200 compared to almost 500 for a Surveyor SRV-1
    Thanks. You should have seen this Robot fall from 3 ft during an interview and still get up and do it's thing, with only minor scratches. Just ask Jason Pratt of "The Florida Times Union," It's Durable, and my oldest rover is 3 years old, and still kicking around.

The price is so fair because we use the affordable RP-5 chassis, and we are using a cheap but powerful microprocessor/transmitter configuration. We have prefab boards and several overseas suppliers, that give excellent price breaks with bulk purchases. The last step is smooth outsourcing of assembly. We have began enlisting private technicians to work from home, and allowing business to license and sale the product. We may have just found some affordable manufacturing services, but for now we rely on independent technicians, some other engineers, and myself, to handle R&D, assembly, and testing.

We do release more details of the robot with private emails that I receive, and that's to further the interest of building other net applications and hardware that may work with this flexible platform.

Hi and welcome to the TRC! Your input on your new platform is very much appreciated - thank you!

As I mentioned in my posts, it looks like a good deal on a turn-key device. A lot of R&D obviously went into it!
    I Void Warranties�

10. Re: New rover find - For sale by a US university student

Thanks alot. You are correct, we have done some extensive R&D. The first version was a blimp robot, which didn't work well due to weight restrictions, HVAC systems, and control precision. It did however, serve as a test bed for the software and the method of communication. We are investing in computer vision and hope to eliminate the need for other sensors to detect object. We have seen some impressive presentation of things going on with online virtual 3D maps, that we think our robot can play a big part in. Right now we are thinking affordability, and that's why we offer the robot for minimum markup, and hope that experimenters, like myself, will take it to a new level.

Thread Information