Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with the firmware of one Dynamixel

Problem with the firmware of one Dynamixel

Hi again, everybody!

I have a problem with a dynamixel MX-64, I could not connect it to the computer with the USB2Dynamixel and I have updated the firmware. When i updated the firmware it has gone from version 36 to 39. Now I manage to connect, but the speed of transferring the data has changed from 1000000bps to 57142bps.

The weird thing is that the only parameter that can not be changed is that (i can change all the other parameters like ID, position...), with what in arduino, when putting in the program this:

Code:
    dxlInit(1000000); //start dynamixel library at 1mbps to communicate with the servos
    All the servos are communicated to arduino except this one, and of course, changing the speed to 57142bps, only that one is communicated to Arduino, but not the others. One of the options would be to update all the servos but, at the speed of 57142bps the servos do not respond correctly, they go too slow and they emit a sharp sound.

With what I ask to see if it is possible to change the firmware to the previous or something like that to be able to use the engine again.

Thank you very much!

Urko.

Re: Problem with the firmware of one Dynamixel

Not sure which version of firmware you updated to. i.e. are you protocol 1 or protocol 2...
    But you should still be able to change the baud rate of the servo back to 1000000..

You should be able to do it using the R+ manager ... Or you should be able to do it with a program.

Protocol 1...
    You should be able to start up program dlxInit(57142);
    Then do a write to register 4 of that servo: http://support.robotis.com/en/produc...tor_Address_04

And write a 1 to it...

Then restart your program running at 1000000.....

Protocol 2, looks like the baud rate is in different register: http://support.robotis.com/en/produc....htm#bookmark3
    And has different values...

Of course if this is the only servo at protocol 2... Then probably a lot more work, as all of the register numbers, sizes... may have changed.

dxlInit(1000000);
    This configures the speed that the controller uses. The speed that the servo uses must match. There is a "baud rate" register in the servo, and you need to use USB2Dynamixel (or a regular register write command) to write this register to the value for 1000000 bps. The specific value depends on whether you're using DXL protocol 1 or 2. It's easiest to change the speed register from Dynamixel Wizard using the USB2Dynamixel, IMO.

Hello again and thanks for answering.

I downloaded the R + manager, but the problem persists, when I connect the engine, it recognizes me but I get the following alert:

"Electronical shock error"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Error_motor_id3.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	7228

In the image is not visible, but the comunication status (TX and RX) are flashing green.

Afterwards, I change the parameters (ID, position, etc) and the program changes them correctly, but when changing the baud rate, the TX and RX communications change, the TX stops flashing, and in the RX it sets timeout...

Also when I change the baudrate all the values of the parameters disappear, and it does not let me change any of those parameters...

What I try after changing the baud rate is to find the engine again, but then it does not find either 57142bps or 1Mbps ... and I do not know what I can do ...

I am using protocol 2 yes, as in the other servos I have.

Another thing that I forgot to put in the previous post is that when i´m using the dynamixel wizard, the program recognizes the engine, but the green check that appears when I connect the other engines does not appear.

Thank you,

Urko.

Not sure, what is wrong. I assume you realized that if you change the baud register it will no longer be able to communicate back to the host, until you setup the communication to go to the new baud rate.

Couple of suggestions: Ask up on the Robotis forum: http://en.robotis.com/service/forum.php Note, Korea's time zone is something like 14 or 16 hours difference to my time zone, so depending on where you are, it may take several hours before they see the questions.

I would try the Recover Firmware type operation of the servo. I think R+ has it, I have not tried, their older software did...

Dynamixel Wizard is the best way to talk to servos. It's part of the RoboPlus package, but a separate executable.
    It has the "recover firmware" function.

I assume you realized that if you change the baud register it will no longer be able to communicate back to the host, until you setup the communication to go to the new baud rate.
    Yes, I asume that, In fact it is what I do, change the baud rate and then I try to search again, and that's when he does not recognize me the servo.

Okey I will ask in that forum thanks!

I would try the Recover Firmware type operation of the servo
    Dynamixel Wizard is the best way to talk to servos. It's part of the RoboPlus package, but a separate executable.
    It has the "recover firmware" function.
    Yes, i have done the function "recover firmware" in the R+ and in the dynamxel wizard. That's why I now have version 41 in this servo instead of the 36 that I have in the rest of the servos. But still I still have the same problem.

Basically, what I do in both softwares (dynamixel wizard and in R +) is to connect the servo to the computer, then both software recognizes me the servo, and everything works correctly (i can change any other parameter), but if I change the transmission speed, the values of the other parameters disappear (like the ID), and it does not let me change them, so what I do is try to find for the dynamixel again with the softwares.

(so i asume that this time the software will find it at 1Mbps, but then it does not recognize any servo and I have to update the firmware again, so I can recognize it again (but again at 57142bps)

Thank you!!
    Urko.

What converter do you have between the computer and the Dynamixel servo?
    Cheap Chinese serial converters do not do 1 Mbps, they only do 927 kbps or something like that.
    The USB2Dynamixel is made to be able to do 1 Mbps, but of course, you need to set both the servo, and the USB2Dynamixel to do that.
    Same thing for the USB2AX, it can also do 1 Mbps proper.

Again maybe post at Robotis forum: http://en.robotis.com/service/forum.php

They may have other suggestions and/or if they think the servo is defective they may issue you an RMA...

Images

Just to confirm:
    MX-64 upgraded to firmware version 41 with protocol 2
    MX-64 responds fine at 56700 bps (actual register contents: 1), but with "electronic shock / low voltage" alarm (every time?)
    MX-64 has baudrate changed to 1 Mbps (actual register contents: 3)
    MX-64 disappears from RoboPlus Manager list of servos at 57600 bps
    MX-64 does not appear after new scan by RoboPlus Manager at 1 Mbps, but can still perform firmware recovery to version 41

Does the MX-64 appear when scanning for servos at 9600 bps, 115200 bps, 2 Mbps, 3 Mbps, 4 Mbps, or 4.5 Mbps using RoboPlus Manager?
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

Thread Information