Thread: PhidgetAdvancedServo 8-Motor

1. PhidgetAdvancedServo 8-Motor

Does this controller code the same as the 4 servo model?
    This would save me from buying 2 more 4 servo controllers and would
    cut down on wiring.
    Calvin
    R2D2 Builder

Images

Re: PhidgetAdvancedServo 8-Motor

It depends on what you mean by the same. I haven't messed around with one as of yet. As soon as we get one in, I'll chime back into this thread, but from looking through the product manual (page 14) there are some differences.

With the PhidgetAdvancedServo, you can change the velocity & acceleration, the resolution is higher, it can return the current, "SpeedRamping" and power on/off to each servo. Looks to me like some tasty treats in this new controller

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

3. Re: PhidgetAdvancedServo 8-Motor

I may be wrong, But I read some of the manual and I think it controlls position on the servo.
    Which in my case would be perfect to be able to set a position the servo will move to and stop.
    That would make it much easier than trying to position a servo mount to controll the travel.
    Speed in another gift, I need to have some servos move at a slow pace. This way I would not have to put a Servo Slower inline from the Phidget to the servo.
    I hope these work out and the C# code is something someone like me can grasp.
    Calvin
    R2D2 Builder

Images

I think it controlls position on the servo
    I think I'm misunderstanding your question, because that's the way the current servo motor controller works....

From a programmatical standpoint, I don't think you have anything to worry about since you're already learning C# and the current servo controller Class.

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Images

When will they be in stock, and let me know when they are in. I want one.

6. Re: PhidgetAdvancedServo 8-Motor

My bad on the position comment, I guess it was the speed of the servo that could'nt be controlled.
    Correct?
    Calvin
    R2D2 Builder

7. Re: PhidgetAdvancedServo 8-Motor

I installed an 8 port advanced servo board that I received this week. I had a significant amount of trouble with the differences between this board and the way the old 4 port board is programmed. The important things to remember is that this board is defined as an "advancedservo", not a "servo" and that the servos must be "enabled" prior to using them. Both are different from the original board.

The 6-15vdc voltage regulator for the board is a big improvement. Now I can hook the board directly to my main 12V supply for my motors instead of running a separate battery. The form factor for the new board is only slightly larger than the 4 port. I only had to drill two new holes because the narrow side holes still lined up.

Now that everything is working it seems like a good board, but I will have more to add when I put two more servos and another motor on it for a total of 5 motors and 2 servos.
    Last edited by twaller; 08-04-2008 at 02:40 PM.

Thread Information