Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reputation System on TRC

Reputation System on TRC

not sure how to add rep points so if someone can tell me I too would love to add +2 rep for you...for starting up something that no one has done.

Re: Free Stuff for bright minds

The number of +rep happens automagically with your Rep Power. You give someone rep by going to the post that you approve of, and clicking on the Attachment 448 button that is in the top right corner of the frame surrounding each post you're reading.

Does that make sense?
    I Void Warranties�

Images

So uhm.. what does the rep power represent, other than giving one with more rep power more power to add to someone else's rep?

Djeez what a sentence...
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve life, press three" - Alice Kahn

Resistance is futile! (if < 1)

I've spent a bit of thought, being the math geek [and not having access to the code] to how it works.

Rep Power is based on a relatively involved function of number of posts (heavily weighted towards that number), the length of time you've been a member, and your reputation (what others think of you). (In that order). I dont' see many other factors for it.

It builds a web of trust. If someone with a higher reputation rates someone, then they're placing their trust in them, so it counts for more.

It appears (and hopefully I'm not "telling tales out of school") that every 100 rep points = another green reputation box. So Alex or Matt could rate someone twice (or once each) and raise their reputation. I'm nearly at that point too just based on sheer post-count alone.

There is something of a flaw in the calculation. When you reach "most verbose" status on the forum, your rep power per post begins to go non-linear. When I passed Alex for that spot, my rep power was at 24. Before I made Mod status, it was at 30 in just a day or two. Max seems to be 50, and I'll be hitting that in a day or two now.

Matt's is based on his ratings from other people (highest on the forum) and the length of time he's been here (day-2 or so) rather than on [as much] his post-count, which illustrates the biases in the system as well.

Contrary to popular opinion, I do not see a correlation between being a moderator and the growth of the rep power. I'm uncertain if the admin group gets an auto-50 or not... I wasn't here at the start.

Whew. Waaay off topic. Not really sure where I could split this thread and make it sensible. Hmm.

[edit] Oops - looks like rep power will go over 50. Sorry Alex and Matt. :P
    Last edited by Adrenalynn; 08-02-2008 at 12:02 AM.
    I Void Warranties�

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    I've spent a bit of thought, being the math geek [and not having access to the code] to how it works.

Rep Power is based on a relatively involved function of number of posts (heavily weighted towards that number), the length of time you've been a member, and your reputation (what others think of you). (In that order). I dont' see many other factors for it.

It builds a web of trust. If someone with a higher reputation rates someone, then they're placing their trust in them, so it counts for more.

It appears (and hopefully I'm not "telling tales out of school") that every 100 rep points = another green reputation box. So Alex or Matt could rate someone twice (or once each) and raise their reputation. I'm nearly at that point too just based on sheer post-count alone.

There is something of a flaw in the calculation. When you reach "most verbose" status on the forum, your rep power per post begins to go non-linear. When I passed Alex for that spot, my rep power was at 24. Before I made Mod status, it was at 30 in just a day or two. Max seems to be 50, and I'll be hitting that in a day or two now.

Matt's is based on his ratings from other people (highest on the forum) and the length of time he's been here (day-2 or so) rather than on [as much] his post-count, which illustrates the biases in the system as well.

Contrary to popular opinion, I do not see a correlation between being a moderator and the growth of the rep power. I'm uncertain if the admin group gets an auto-50 or not... I wasn't here at the start.

Whew. Waaay off topic. Not really sure where I could split this thread and make it sensible. Hmm.

[edit] Oops - looks like rep power will go over 50. Sorry Alex and Matt. :P
    If you had admin access, you could actually view, and change exactly how rep was effected, and effects people. If it's not altered, VB does automatically start admins off with a base 50 rep power.
    If I remember correctly, the base formula (if it hasn't been altered) is 1 rep power for every 150 days as a member, 1 rep power for every 100 rep receive, and 1 rep power for every 100 posts. I've run a few vb based forums in my day
    This ain't nothing but a summer jam
    Brown skin and cinnamon tans, whoa!
    We're gonna party as much as we can
    Hey-yeah, ooh, hey-yeah
    Summer jam alright
    Hey-yeah, ooh, hey-yeah

Images

You can also view the FAQ to see what the reputation system is all about

If you had admin access, you could actually view, and change exactly how rep was effected, and effects people. If it's not altered, VB does automatically start admins off with a base 50 rep power. If I remember correctly, the base formula (if it hasn't been altered) is 1 rep power for every 150 days as a member, 1 rep power for every 100 rep receive, and 1 rep power for every 100 posts. I've run a few vb based forums in my day
    Yes, we have altered the settings quite a bit from it's original settings. Admins are at 50 (although I think the default was lower...), but most all other settings were changed. The way that the reputation system was configured by default didn't really make much sense.

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Yup - but the FAQ doesn't break it down like I did.
    I Void Warranties�

Images

The only thing I'd change about it is that it says the person's name by default, rather then being anonymous. Someone left me a rather rude negative rep, but wasn't man enough to sign it. I'm pretty sure I know who it was though..
    Brown skin and cinnamon tans, whoa!
    We're gonna party as much as we can
    Hey-yeah, ooh, hey-yeah
    Summer jam alright
    Hey-yeah, ooh, hey-yeah

Re: Reputation System on TRC

[Moderator Note: Reputation thread split out onto its own from "Free Stuff". It was growing to the point of taking over Matt's topic...]
    I Void Warranties�

Images

Re: Reputation System on TRC

The only thing I'd change about it is that it says the person's name by default, rather then being anonymous. Someone left me a rather rude negative rep, but wasn't man enough to sign it. I'm pretty sure I know who it was though..
    It does or doesn't show the name?

We don't want to show names for reputation points. Sure, this case may be one where you may not have deserved it, but being an admin in many other vb forums, I'm sure you can think of 100's of times where someone did deserve negative rep. The last thing anyone here in the TRC wants is for flame wars to start because someone received a negative rep. On the other side of the fence, if someone deserves a negative rep, people shouldn't be discouraged to give them one because of the concern of their name appearing next to the rep point.

edit: Thanks Adrenalynn for splitting the thread

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Thread Information