Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So like, how many?

Images

So like, how many?

How many contest / competition / group projects are out there now in the TRC? Can we build a master list to keep track?

1 - There is the TR regular which just ended and we will announce the next one soon enough.

2 - Droidworks has one going somewhere in here

3 - DarkBack has the trashbot thing, no idea what stage it's in

4 - I saw a group project thingy too.

Am I missing any? How should we track all these? Alex and I chatted about it once, but we didn't come up with any definitive solution...

Re: So like, how many?

At the most basic, we could create a thread in Project Showcase and then lock the thread. Admins and Mods can post to locked threads, so as we become aware of these we could jump in and add them to the locked thread. Locking it prevents it from running away and all that.
    I Void Warranties�

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    How many contest / competition / group projects are out there now in the TRC? Can we build a master list to keep track?

1 - There is the TR regular which just ended and we will announce the next one soon enough.

2 - Droidworks has one going somewhere in here

3 - DarkBack has the trashbot thing, no idea what stage it's in

4 - I saw a group project thingy too.

Am I missing any? How should we track all these? Alex and I chatted about it once, but we didn't come up with any definitive solution...
    Here is the link to my contest:
    http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/sh...s+code+contest

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    In a sense, every single robot posted here is a group project, because everyone offers feedback and ideas for them.

However, I know what you are talking about - actual robots being worked on as a group. Any robot can become a group project at any time.

8-Dale
    I can handle complexity. It's the simple things that confound me.
    Do everything in moderation, ESPECIALLY, moderation..
    Sometimes the only way to win, is not to play.. -- Stephen Falken

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    At the most basic, we could create a thread in Project Showcase and then lock the thread. Admins and Mods can post to locked threads, so as we become aware of these we could jump in and add them to the locked thread. Locking it prevents it from running away and all that.
    This is a REALLY GOOD idea! Another idea is having a forum just for Group Robot Projects, where the active project threads could be moved. It would make this kind of project much easier to find for those who may wish to participate actively in some way. The locked thread topic for a project could (and definitely should) point to the active project thread where people can chime in as they feel appropriate.

8-Dale
    I can handle complexity. It's the simple things that confound me.
    Do everything in moderation, ESPECIALLY, moderation..
    Sometimes the only way to win, is not to play.. -- Stephen Falken

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGuy View Post
    In a sense, every single robot posted here is a group project, because everyone offers feedback and ideas for them.
    That is a very true statement, and I think what sets the TRC apart from some other forums!!!

Images

Great idea, go for it!

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Projects seem to be spread out across Project Showcase, random forum threads, Blogs, and tutorials. You might want to a guide so that people can figure out where things should go. It probably also makes sense to "encourage" people to move things that are robot projects into the Project Showcase.

Having a sticky thread in Project Showcase makes a lot of sense so that folks can quickly see all the projects out there (a small pic, link and a short blurb for each project). You could even link to blogs, tutorials etc in the cases where "projects" are posted in those areas.

I've moved some stuff out of Project Showcase - primarily those that are still at the "loose idea for a project" stage.

I think what we're looking for in this particular thread are the contests and group projects rather than each individual project.
    I Void Warranties�

Here's a first-pass. If I missed any - No Offense! - Please PM me with your group project or contest!

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=2218
    I Void Warranties�

Thread Information