Thread: Arduino and RSRs (Really Small Robots)

Arduino and RSRs (Really Small Robots)

Ah, yes, I now have an Arduino Decimiia and Proto Shield kit! I am still considering getting a Make Controller at some point also. I got to see them up close at OSCON at the Maker Shed.

I think that combining these would make a great little RSR controller, especially after seeing the Pololu 3pi. I have installed the Arduino software on my server, and will also install it on my main PC once I solve and correct the hard disk issues that box currently has. Unfortunately, I only have two USB ports on the back of my server, so will have to open the box and see if there are internal connections for more. I have a couple brackets just for this purpose that fit in back panel slots.

I also got two of the BlinkM I2C controllable LEDs. These are just too cool to pass up, and I want to see how they are put together. I also have several RGB LEDs, lots of PICs/dsPICs, and two ARM7 (NXP LPC2148) boards that I can use for various things. I already have software, thanks to Pete McCollum (sapian59) of the Lynxmotion and Spark Fun forms, that allows a dsPIC to be an I2C slave.

Yes, I believe I will have some serious fun (is that an Oxymoron?) with the Arduino! I also have the book "Robot Builder's Bonanza", which I expect to get a lot of inspiration from.

However, I want to focus specifically on the Arduino and it's potential for controlling RSRs in this thread.

8-Dale
    Last edited by LinuxGuy; 08-07-2008 at 08:43 AM.
    I can handle complexity. It's the simple things that confound me.
    Do everything in moderation, ESPECIALLY, moderation..
    Sometimes the only way to win, is not to play.. -- Stephen Falken

Images

Re: Arduino and RSRs (Really Small Robots)

I have a couple of small robots I built using the Arduino. It's a great low cost controller for throwing something together quick.

You should look into the motor shield offered by Adafruit industries. It has 4 H-Bridges and 2 servo channels built in. She also has a library you can download and install that makes using the shield easy.
    Linky: http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?ma...products_id=81

I used a protoshield to build an H-bridge and servo controller for one of the robots but the Adafruit motor shield is a much cleaner implementation. It will drive a tamiya dual motor gearbox quite well.
    Last edited by jes1510; 08-08-2008 at 11:21 AM. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by jes1510 View Post
    You should look into the motor shield offered by Adafruit industries. It has 4 H-Bridges and 2 servo channels built in. She also has a library you can download and install that makes using the shield easy.
    I Looked at that and it's an interesting shield for the Arduino. I would rather tailor a motor controller to specifically what I want though. That way I get just the features I want, learn by doing it myself, and don't have any features I don't want. Adding servo and sensor headers is extremely easy, for instance.

I'm thinking about building an ArduinoBot in the case that CD and DVD media comes in. It's a perfect chassis, and comes with a clear cover too! Who doesn't have some of these sitting around collecting dust? They come in at least two different cover heights too!

There is also plenty of room inside these for other controllers.

8-Dale

Hello LinuxGuy.

This is my first post on this forum. It seems that we have a few things in common, for one I also order the Arduino Decimiia and Proto Shield kit, not from trossenrobotics but from sparkfun (shhhhhhhh). It should arrive by the end of the week. One of my many interests in electronics is also in small robots and what peak my interest was watching robocup and seeing their Small Size Robot League. I hope to learn a lot from building one and hopefully we can help each other in our quest.

Matt B
    Last edited by librab103; 08-10-2008 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by librab103 View Post
    This is my first post on this forum. It seems that we have a few things in common, for one I also order the Arduino Decimiia and Proto Shield kit, not from trossenrobotics but from sparkfun (shhhhhhhh). It should arrive by the end of the week.

Welcome to the TRC!

I am creating a new robot that will be controlled by my Arduino and an SSC-32. It will not be moving in any of the usual ways if everything works out.

I hope to learn a lot from building one and hopefully we can help each other in our quest.

I can guarantee you will learn a lot as you build your robot.

8-Dale

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGuy View Post
    Welcome to the TRC!

I am creating a new robot that will be controlled by my Arduino and an SSC-32. It will not be moving in any of the usual ways if everything works out.
    I know the SSC-32 is for 32 servos? How many servos do you plan on using in your RSR? Do you plan on making your own servo controller or using the SSC-32 in your final product?

Matt B

Let me stop stealing LinuxGuy's thread. Here is mine: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=2241. I replied to Adrenalynn in it.
    Last edited by librab103; 08-12-2008 at 10:23 AM.

Thank you, Librab, very considerate! I moved the posts into your thread: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=2241
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

I know the SSC-32 is for 32 servos? How many servos do you plan on using in your RSR?
    Not 32, that's for sure. I am using the SSC-32 because it is so easy to use, not for the number of servos it can control.

Do you plan on making your own servo controller or using the SSC-32 in your final product?
    This ArduinoBot I am working on won't be anything final. I'm building it for a few of reasons though. 1) I got the bug to just see what I could build up from parts I already have on hand, 2) I want to enter it in a couple of contests, 3) It's a stepping stone to prove some ideas I want to incorporate into W.A.L.T.E.R. at some point, and 4) I got an idea for a new (to me at least) locomotion method I want to try out - it's inspired by the wonderful works of Crabfu.

8-Dale

Thread Information