Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CONTEST: Crabfu Challenge = $100

CONTEST: Crabfu Challenge = $100

CONTEST: The Crabfu Challenge

For those of you guys familiar with my tinkerings, know that I'm all about character, and tech is only used to achieve the illusion of life. So somehow I ended up with a bit of trossen credit, and figured instead of just hording it, that I would start another competition, and give away the store credit.

The challenge:
    To bring a bunch of hardware the illusion of life and character. This is NOT about AI or fancy software or hardware. It's not to achieve real character or personality, but the ILLUSION of it. Autonomous robots can enter too, but this isn't a contest of the smartest robot, but a smartest "looking" and "moving" robot could win. This is about the art of breathing some charm into a bunch of electronics. So the goal is simple, the most characterful robot wins.

The reward:
    First place:
    $100 credit for anything you want from Trossen Robotics, it will be a transfer of a promo code from me to the winner.
    Second place: choice of either ~$20 of trossen credit, OR two used denso motors. Donated by DB!
    Third Place: What second place doesn't want

Rules:
    -You can use any material you wish, add on whatever cosmetics you like. Cute and friendly, or mean and bad a$$, shy and nervous, gross, beefy, or whatever you choose.... as long as it triggers an emotional reaction by the way it moves and looks. Some materials that I've used to good sucess:

*Aluminum sheets are easily to cut, drill, and bend to shape. If the bot is small, soda cans works great, and can be cut with scissors, turned inside out or painted.
    *Lexan.... soda bottles, plastic shrink wrap that you get with just about everything you buy these days.... all are great sources of material. After you cut to the shape you like, you can paint them with lexan paint (trust me, only use lexan paint if you work with this sort of plastic) from the inside or outside, depending on if you want a shinny gloss finish, or a dull matte look.
    *wood... don't knock wood, it's easy to work with
    These are just suggestions, you can use whatever junk you have around, or go custom with vacuum form, injection plastic, shapelock, whatever.

-This contest will not be judged by anything but for character, so it will not matter how complex or simple the robot is. Any type of robot can enter.... even a few servos could win, if it's got the most personality.

-Armor, cosmetics, whatever you add to your bot, must NOT interfere with the natural movement of your robot. It also can NOT be too heavy so that the robot does not function well.

-The robot must move in some way, this is not a statue contest. Movement is a HUGE part of character, this contest isn't just about body works, but how characterful the movements are as well. Sound effects is not required or judged, but if it adds to the character of the bot, go for it!

-Entries must be entered with at least one pic and a movie.

Judging:
    - I, Crabfu, will be the judge... so bribes will be considered, starting at $100.99. Short of receiving a bribe, the contest will be based purely on which bot shows the most character. Dress up your existing robot, or make a new one if you wish.... but it's all about adding custom and unique things to your bot, adding the extra polish to your creation, or fully customize the LOOKS of your stock robot. Add motions so that it looks alive, and in character.

- You can not enter your robots that were finished before the start of this competition, not as is anyway. The idea is to make a new one, or take an old bot and add so much stuff to it, that it does not look or act like the original. If you enter a previously build bot, please include an before and after pic. Another words, I won't be impressed if you took your humanoid, and added a hat to it and nothing else.

- Aesthetics. You won't win if you just glue a bunch of random stuff on your robot. Care and planning must go into the bot, so it looks polished and well designed.

-Creativity. Don't try and do something that someone has done before.... this means no recreating a robot from your favorite movie etc. Make your own designs!

-One robot entry per builder please. You may post many pics or movies if you wish, as long as the entry is only for one particular bot.

The deadline:
    Deadline is one month from today, so ends 9/8/08 at midnight... should be plenty of time. Winner will be announced the next day, and promo code worth a hundred little ones transfered over

So get moving folks, may the most characterful pile of moving hardware win....
    -Crabfu

Entries:

Garg
    [ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2653435768443144235&hl=en"]Metal_Gargoyle.wmv[/ame]

Darwin
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_piYk8h__N8"]YouTube - Darwin shot low[/ame]

Lisa
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drrxLz5d2dA"]YouTube - Robot Horror Flick[/ame]

Delfigelo
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So28-Rkv-G0"]YouTube - Delfigelo robot[/ame]

Robot Piggie
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeXybmsexo8"]YouTube - Robot Piggie[/ame]

BubbleBoy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp35TkzMUA"]YouTube - BubbleBoy Complete[/ame]

Last edited by Alex; 10-20-2008 at 04:49 PM. Reason: trying to fix videos

Images

Re: CONTEST: Crabfu Challenge = $100

Fantastic CrabFu! I wish I had some free time in the next month to participate in this, but you definitely get +rep for this incredibly generous and awesome idea.

Since Engadget loves you so, you should see if they'll blurb about this, might get a good amount of new people involved!

Images

Your freaking amazing.

DB

Crabfu,

You are awesome and very generous!

8-Dale
    I can handle complexity. It's the simple things that confound me.
    Do everything in moderation, ESPECIALLY, moderation..
    Sometimes the only way to win, is not to play.. -- Stephen Falken

Images

What can I say Crabfu, Generous indeed. Damn I want to enter this, I will have to see If I have time as I have three bots on the go right now J5, Wall-E and Ed 209. But it is very very tempting to enter. And a 100 big ones. Nice idea.
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

I added your contest to the Master List Crabfu. Want to check and make sure the one-liner is suitable?

Thanks for sponsoring this! +rep from me if the system will allow it (if I'm "spread it around" enough). [edit: Yup! +54 from me! ]
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Quote Originally Posted by 4mem8 View Post
    What can I say Crabfu, Generous indeed. Damn I want to enter this, I will have to see If I have time as I have three bots on the go right now J5, Wall-E and Ed 209. But it is very very tempting to enter. And a 100 big ones. Nice idea.
    Woot! Maybe I have a chance then.. I am building my entry right now, and I don't think this method of locomotion has been done yet.

8-Dale
    I can handle complexity. It's the simple things that confound me.
    Do everything in moderation, ESPECIALLY, moderation..
    Sometimes the only way to win, is not to play.. -- Stephen Falken

Some of you overestimate my contacts.... The coverage that some of my work has achieved, is based on what this competition is about. Creativity, charm, personality, character etc goes a long way. I only have a few friends that I email when I've created something new, and it either fizzles out or gather momentum on its own. I only know they've made it big only when they come through my rss feed, or friends email me to tell me congrats making it on some big site Ahhh, the power of character... With that said, I don't expect this to end up being blogged, because the prize isn't that big to be geek news worthy, and there are no eye candy, no attention grabbers for the masses... but we'll see.

Ok, so to add to the mix, DB is donating more prizes!!!! Thanks DB!!!

Second place:
    choice of either ~$20 of trossen credit, OR two used denso motors.
    Third Place: What second place doesn't want.

In case of a tie, contestants will enter sudden death tic tac toe.

Ok, enough talk, show me da character!

-Crabfu

I can really only think of one response...

That's all I got.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Thread Information