Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: has any build the oap robot project

robot maker Guest

has any build the oap robot project

searching the internet awhile back i found a very good linux robot design called OAP robot project,looks like a very cool design http://oap.sourceforge.net/

also another question,i use mostly windows but looking to learn linux system,what is the best and the easest linux system to learn,i heard GENTOO is great for robotics,i have almost every linux system out there,from my IT friend

Re: has any build the oap robot project

Too many times reading: "This component consists of custom hardware and firmware" for me to get all that excited. If it's tied to custom hardware and firmware it's just another proprietary toy to me...

It's been in my bookmark list for awhile but I haven't paid much attention to it since it just seems to get more and more proprietary.
    I Void Warranties�

robot maker Guest

custom hardware is the best way to go,anyone can buy a robot kit or board already made and put it together
    fun part is to build the robot mostly from scratch,make some changes like sensors hands and software and making the design better, my favorate besides building the robot is making a prototype board from parts and buss wire,then you have something else called electronic-art
    very easy to send a board out to pcb cmpany get it back fast in 7 days or less

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    Too many times reading: "This component consists of custom hardware and firmware" for me to get all that excited. If it's tied to custom hardware and firmware it's just another proprietary toy to me...

It's been in my bookmark list for awhile but I haven't paid much attention to it since it just seems to get more and more proprietary.

The OAP is what I have used as a basis for my current project. There's some great code and ideas you can pick and choose from. For example, I found the power management module's circuit design to be exactly what I needed for my power subsystem but I wasn't a big fan of the code for the onboard PIC driving it so I've coded my own. OAP is what inspired me to finally take the leap and make something myself.

The project looks like it may be dead, but you can still find some neat things tidbits that could help you in your own robotic adventures!
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. --Carl Sagan

5. Re: has any build the oap robot project

Quote Originally Posted by robot maker View Post
    very easy to send a board out to pcb cmpany get it back fast in 7 days or less
    I don't understand this. Yes, its very easy. After you've made your 20th or 50th board, it starts getting tiring stringing all that wire. What if you want to use surface mount? What if you want your robot to be (gasp) reliable? What if you want your robot to look professional, inside and out?

Attachment 535
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

robot maker Guest

i really dont like surface mount,need special tools,and flow oven and alot more,solder paste
    then if a part goes bad,it hard to replace,it does save space
    surface mount you still need to do make a circuit,same as pcb ,but alot harder then send to pcb company
    company i work ,at makes testers and they use surface mount mostly ,surface mount is great when you make over 100 boards,but for a robot design may only need 1 or 2
    so thats why surface not so great for robots

Quote Originally Posted by JonHylands View Post
    I don't understand this. Yes, its very easy. After you've made your 20th or 50th board, it starts getting tiring stringing all that wire. What if you want to use surface mount? What if you want your robot to be (gasp) reliable? What if you want your robot to look professional, inside and out?

Attachment 535

robot maker Guest

i do the same i got ideas from the oap project ,mostly power management and charging design
    using windows instead of linux,but linux will be used maybe latter
    as i learn it and apply to my robots

Quote Originally Posted by archcvd View Post
    The OAP is what I have used as a basis for my current project. There's some great code and ideas you can pick and choose from. For example, I found the power management module's circuit design to be exactly what I needed for my power subsystem but I wasn't a big fan of the code for the onboard PIC driving it so I've coded my own. OAP is what inspired me to finally take the leap and make something myself.

The project looks like it may be dead, but you can still find some neat things tidbits that could help you in your own robotic adventures!

8. Re: has any build the oap robot project

Quote Originally Posted by robot maker View Post
    i really dont like surface mount,need special tools,and flow oven and alot more,solder paste then if a part goes bad,it hard to replace,it does save space
    surface mount you still need to do make a circuit,same as pcb ,but alot harder then send to pcb company
    company i work ,at makes testers and they use surface mount mostly ,surface mount is great when you make over 100 boards,but for a robot design may only need 1 or 2
    so thats why surface not so great for robots
    Well, I make lots of boards, and I use surface mount all the time. Many of the robots I build end up being space constrained, and to get the features I need I have to use surface mount.

As an example, look at an earlier mini-sumo I built, Seeker 2:

Attachment 548

Attachment 549

This is all through hole-point to point soldering. Its messy, and its unreliable. Wires break off occasionally, and its really easy to short things from the bottom. It also takes up way too much space. Seeker 2 is 1.5" high, and my new mini sumo, Seeker 2x, is 1" high. I needed smaller (but higher capacity) batteries, and a much thinner PCB, without lots of crap hanging off the bottom.

Seeker 2's circuit board is 9mm thick at the front, and 15mm thick at the back (including the wires on the bottom).

Seeker 2x's circuit board is 4mm thick at the front, and 9mm thick at the back, and there is nothing on the bottom of the board (other than traces, protected by solder mask).

Plus, the microcontroller I'm using now is significantly more powerful, has a ton more memory, and isn't available in a through-hole version.

I personally find surface mount to be perfect for robotics. Things fit much better, and the company I use (APCircuits.com) does an excellent job of making the PCB, whether it is surface mount or through-hole (or a mix).
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

I'm totally with you, Jon. SMT is a fact of life - I couldn't imagine working in anything else. Repair is simple once you get the hang of it, and a rework gun is no more expensive than a middle-of-the-road hobby soldering iron. If any prototype house told me they couldn't work with anything but through-hole, I'd run to the next ad in the back of Nuts and Volts. Too many thousand of them out there to choose from, each cheaper and more reliable than the next.

1985 called and they want their through-hole chips back... [1990 called and wanted that joke back...]
    I Void Warranties�

Quote Originally Posted by JonHylands View Post
    Plus, the microcontroller I'm using now is significantly more powerful, has a ton more memory, and isn't available in a through-hole version.
    This is what I've found...A lot of the really cool chips these days just aren't available in through hole versions. Of course, some of the ones I'd like to use don't come in anything other than evil BGA packages.
    We suspected that an agreement with humans would prove impossible to maintain. You are erratic, conflicted, disorganised. Every decision is debated, every action questioned. Every individual entitled to their own small opinion. You lack harmony, cohesion, greatness. It will be your undoing.

Thread Information