Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Arduino Diecimila Rover by librab103

My Arduino Diecimila Rover by librab103

Quote Originally Posted by librab103 View Post
    I know the SSC-32 is for 32 servos? How many servos do you plan on using in your RSR? Do you plan on making your own servo controller or using the SSC-32 in your final product?

Matt B
    Urgh. Unless I was planning to sell thousands, I think I'd take a pass on making my own servo controller...

[edit] Added the quote to tie this together when I moved the posts into this thread...
    Last edited by Adrenalynn; 08-12-2008 at 01:33 PM.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Images

Re: Arduino and RSRs (Really Small Robots)

I think that's a matter of taste.
    You can learn lots with building a servo controller.
    If you're building a bot with a known purpose and don't want to lose time on "reinventing hot water", I agree.

But if you build bots because of it being a fun way to learn stuff, I couldn't recommend it more.
    You learn a lot about timing, interrupts, pwm etc that way.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve life, press three" - Alice Kahn

Resistance is futile! (if < 1)

During testing and prototyping phase of building the robot, I plan on using a motor control board from either trossenrobotics or pololu. Once I get to the part of finally building the body of the robot and knowing what "equipment" it will have I will make my own. I believe ScuD when he says it will "be a fun way to learn stuff."

Just be aware that a motor controller aka speed controller is NOT a servo controller - unless you want the magic smoke to escape.

A full-featured servo controller requires a tremendous amount of firmware to go alone with it. Not just a matter of "soldering up a board".

I can see it taking a full year to get just that one piece right. If that interests you - by all means! I don't have the patience to build someone that would cost me 1/10th as much to buy that will be 10 times more complete and take me 1/300th the time.

I think I'm getting old.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

My Arduino Diecimila Rover

As the title reads I will be making a rover. In the beginning the rover will be based around the Arduino Diecimila board but as I learn more and more about the ATmega168 I will build my own board for my rover.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    Just be aware that a motor controller aka speed controller is NOT a servo controller - unless you want the magic smoke to escape.

A full-featured servo controller requires a tremendous amount of firmware to go alone with it. Not just a matter of "soldering up a board".

I can see it taking a full year to get just that one piece right. If that interests you - by all means! I don't have the patience to build someone that would cost me 1/10th as much to buy that will be 10 times more complete and take me 1/300th the time.

I think I'm getting old.
    Starting off with the Arduino Diecimila board I will use servos...but will quickly move towards DC motors with encoders. Unless you have a better idea? I would love to hear it. Questions and comments are greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by librab103; 08-12-2008 at 05:26 AM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    J

I think I'm getting old.

Guess it's just that " I wanna know what makes it tick" thing I have that drives me to build things that 1000's have built before me.

But hey, if we all would just buy that one single thing that's been built by someone else instead of creating our own, there would be no innovation, in fact there might never have been an SSC-32

Regardless though, you have a point, it is tedious and hard work to build a well-functioning servo-controller.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve life, press three" - Alice Kahn

Resistance is futile! (if < 1)

7. Re: Arduino and RSRs (Really Small Robots)

The real question you have to ask yourself - what are you trying to accomplish? If your goal is to learn as much about robotics and electronics and embedded programming as possible, then building a servo controller is a good step along the way. If your goal is to build a working robot so you can experiment with AI or SLAM or whatever, then building parts you can buy in general will slow your project down to nothing, as you get distracted by the insane amount of engineering required to reinvent the wheel a bunch of times.
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

Re: My Arduino Diecimila Rover

Stashed away in some boxes I have found a BOE-bot body that has servos with wheels connected to it. I guess I will use this is my starting platform.

Images

You may want to look into the Sanguino controller. It is pretty new and seems to be a bit "bigger" than the Arduino. I has more I/O pins, RAM, EEPROM, and FLASH than the Arduino board. You end up having to buy a serial to TTL cable but that is a one time buy. I just ordered one for a project at work.

Edit Here is the URL:
    http://sanguino.cc/
    Last edited by jes1510; 08-12-2008 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Added URL

Images

Nice looking board, What language does it use??.
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

Thread Information