View Poll Results: Rate of Fire Rules

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fully Automatic.

10 32.26%
  • Fully Automatic with a limits on target/scoring rate.

2 6.45%
  • Burst Fire with a limit on rate/quantity of fire

10 32.26%
  • Semi Automatic.

5 16.13%
  • Semi Automatic with a limit on rate of fire.

4 12.90%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate of Fire Discussion

Images

Rate of Fire Discussion

Looks like this is something that needs to be decided early on before people put too much into designing their weapons, so I'll put it up in the form of a poll to get a good idea of people's opinion.

I was originally intending on just using semi-automatic weapons, but I never stated no fully automatic weapons would be allowed. Some people have brought up the point that if fully automatic weapons are allowed, whoever has the best gun wins. On the flip side, we could also limit the target/scoring system to only register X amount of hits every Y seconds to somewhat 'nerf' the effectiveness of fully automatic weapons. This still leaves the problem that a fully auto weapon might very well just knock any other robot on it's ass and/or damage it.

Please choose what you feel should be allowed:

1. Fully Automatic.
    2. Fully Automatic with a limit on the target/scoring system on how many hits will register per second.
    3. Burst Fire with a limit on how many rounds can be fired at once, and a limit on reload time.
    4. Semi Automatic.
    5. Semi Automatic with a limit as to how many shots per second can be fired.

Also keep in mind, this is for year 1. Things might change after we see how it all works out in live action and new rules could be decided upon.
    Last edited by DresnerRobotics; 06-30-2008 at 11:02 PM.

Re: Rate of Fire Discussion

Semi automatic with a .5 - 1 sec delay on shots.

I selected "burst fire with limit".

The most important aspect outside of safety is pleasing the crowd. Nothing pleases a crowd like a good burst of projectiles - even more than full-auto which gets boring quickly. A good burst wakes people up.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

I selected semi-automatic rate limited, which is about the same as semi-automatic in my book. The mechs will still have to carry their ammo, so I suspect the hyper aggressive full-auto folks would run out of shots well before a well tuned semi or regular.

I'm for limited bursts. We need more than just pea-shooters to keep it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by lamont View Post
    The mechs will still have to carry their ammo, so I suspect the hyper aggressive full-auto folks would run out of shots well before a well tuned semi or regular.
    I said the same thing in the other thread. Maybe the poll needs another option - "Full Auto with Ammo Limit". If everyone has the same number of rounds, then we can allow for different playstyles.

Also, an ammo limit is a simple solution.
    Last edited by A-Bot; 07-01-2008 at 02:52 PM.

Images

I'm down with number 2. Fully Automatic with a limit on the target/scoring system on how many hits will register per second.
    The weight of the bbs, as well as the loading mechanism would be enough of a deterrent without arbitrarily limiting how many rounds a mech is allowed to carry.
    You could also define weapon classes based on ROF and FPS. That would be kind of cool.
    You can carry x points worth of weapons, a high rof gun would cost you x/4 total points, while a lower rof gun would cost you x/8 total points, and each bb would then cost you nx points per ten or something.
    So you'd have the option of having a fast gun, with a fair amount of ammo, or two fast guns with less ammo, or a slower gun with more ammo, or a few slower guns with slightly less ammo, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricity View Post
    I'm down with number 2. Fully Automatic with a limit on the target/scoring system on how many hits will register per second.
    This idea can work if the "how many hits will register per second" part is handled by the hit-counting hardware or application. I think it's important that the target onboard the robot be as simple as possible because everyone has to implement it.

Jon might have some thoughts on this.

Images

Why are we constantly trying to bound bot builders? Yes, whoever has the best gun wins. Sorry, its true. If I build a bot that can carry a full auto and a 1000 round hopper, I have probably made other sacrifices like getting stuck in a higher weight class and having to add more sensors. Why is that not good enough?

I agree w/Sienna

Thread Information