Thread: DxlTosser and Raspberry PI.

1. Post DxlTosser and Raspberry PI.

Hello All,

This is the first time I am working with OpenCM9.04 type C board and Dynamixel Xl320 motors. As it is the lab requirement to have work on these two, I cannot switch it over to other motors. In my robotics project, I need to have an AI so I wanted to switch over to Raspberry pi 3.0 b+. However, I am not sure if I can use the OpenCM9.04 board and Raspberry Pi with DxlTosser.

I am having around 7 motors.

Can anyone please help me with this? Thanks in advance.

Re: DxlTosser and Raspberry PI.

The easiest way to do this is to not use DxlTosser, but instead still control the servos from the OpenCM9.04.
    Then you will send some kind of commands and data back and forth between the OpenCM and the Raspberry Pi, using the USB serial port.
    Simple lines of text are often simplest, and because the OpenCM USB Serial driver is a bit finicky, you probably want to structure the protocol so that the Raspberry Pi sends a line of text, the OpenCM handles that, and then reports back whatever data you need back, before the Pi sends the next line of text.
    The only thing that needs a little care about this is that you want to build the serial receiving as a state machine -- receive whatever is available into a buffer, byte by byte, and only when the buffer ends with a newline, would you parse the command in the buffer, then clear the buffer, and then receive more. This means that you can keep running the servos, without pausing, waiting for a new command from the Pi.

3. Re: DxlTosser and Raspberry PI.

Hey jwatte,

Thanks for the advice. I have tried using pypot but It is not really working well. I am more of an AI guy than networking stuff. Is there any example program that I can refer for the communication from pi to OpenCM and then to motors?

Thanks a ton!

Thread Information