Thread: Arbotix-M control with a RC radio

1. Arbotix-M control with a RC radio

Hi,

I'm pretty new to building robotics, and am building the WidowX arm right now. I want to control the arm with a radio controller I already own, from other hobbies. It has a lot of switches that I would like to bind to certain arm movements.

The plan is to connect the Arbotix-M controller with analog inputs to the radio's receiver - and have preprogrammed movements that the arm performs. I think that I need to use the Arm Link software to "train" the robot and to have it's movements stored on the board. Is this the right way to go about it? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    spacerobo

Re: Arbotix-M control with a RC radio

It depends on what you want the RC to do. If you want direct control of the arm position from joysticks, you probably just write a sketch that receives RC pulses (or ibus protocol if that's the kind of receiver you have) and translates them to desired servo positions, then sends those servo positions.
    If you want to have pre-canned positions/poses of the arm, and let different buttons on the remote control go to those positions, then "training" positions might make sense.

3. Re: Arbotix-M control with a RC radio

I was hoping to do canned poses, because I'll be using the control joysticks for the vehicle its mounted to. I think I'll use the armlink program to start learning how to train poses before coding them myself - but I can't for the life of me get it to work standalone... its missing some sort of file. Do you have any experience with that?

Thread Information