Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: QR-Mini

QR-Mini

I have been working on a project that I decided to take to the next level.
    Its about a year in the works and mostly done in my free time. I made my own CNC Mill to proto-type it which took some time as well.

After reading several forums and how there are some people including myself after a miniutre Hexapod so I took it upon my self and created a small Hexapod.

Its made from 6061 aluminum of several different thickness depending on the part. Mostly .063 and the thickest is .186.

I had the parts waterjeted at Big Blue Saw and then deburred and anodized locally.

The servos are the Hitec HS-55. I was planning on using the new steel geared version of this servo but it's release date ws suppose to be june and its still currently unavailable.

I have included a couple of pictures below for you guys to check it you.

I know the descripton is a little vague but Im finishing up a Website which will be in more detail and have some video as well.

I also made the Controller board which is based off a Parallax Propeller chip. It has 24 servo capability and has video out as well as 2 PS/2 inputs for keyboard and mouse. 64k eeprom that allows 32kb of program space. It uses assembly,spin, and there even is a C compiler which is a thirdy party software that has a free trial but purchase is required after a certain amount of time.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks Matt and Trossen Robotics

Paul
    Quantum Roboitcs

Images

Re: QR-Mini

Very cool. I am anxious to see a video of it walking.

The hexapod looks amazing! Really nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
    I also made the Controller board which is based off a Parallax Propeller chip. It has 24 servo capability and has video out as well as 2 PS/2 inputs for keyboard and mouse. 64k eeprom that allows 32kb of program space. It uses assembly,spin, and there even is a C compiler which is a thirdy party software that has a free trial but purchase is required after a certain amount of time.
    I'm interested to know more about your controller board. What do you use the video out for? Does the Propeller chip support video out in some sort of terminal mode or did you write something custom? I love parallel processing and have thought about investigating the Propeller chip, but I'm more of an Atmega sort of guy (so far...).
    We suspected that an agreement with humans would prove impossible to maintain. You are erratic, conflicted, disorganised. Every decision is debated, every action questioned. Every individual entitled to their own small opinion. You lack harmony, cohesion, greatness. It will be your undoing.

Insanely nice work! I love all the rounding on the frame, and nice layout on your board! Welcome to the TRC! Can't wait to see it walk
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Images

Quantum: A big welcome to this forum, Hey man that is one piece of nice equipment, To make your own CNC and processing board, That is a heap of talent, congrats. Sure would like a video of it in action. man this site is getting some talented people. Great to see.
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

Images

Man, I've been waiting for someone to make one of these for over 3 years. The design is great. I'm impressed that you designed everything on this too! Very nice work. Can't wait to see the videos!

beautiful... just beautiful... I'm a sucker for all things micro, and so this little guy really hits the spot for me Yeah love to see it in action!

-Crabfu

Quote Originally Posted by Hephaistos View Post
    I'm interested to know more about your controller board. What do you use the video out for? Does the Propeller chip support video out in some sort of terminal mode or did you write something custom? I love parallel processing and have thought about investigating the Propeller chip, but I'm more of an Atmega sort of guy (so far...).
    Yes the Propeller supports video without any other external circuits. Basically all you need to make the video work is use three pins and three resistors and a tv jack. There are objects created by users and Parallax team that they post on there Object exchange on there website. Lots of cool objects are already available. Just have to put them to use.

I have started writing an OS for the robot. The idea is to be able to do all changes in the software of the robot without using a computer. Using tv as an output is easier on pin usage then making it in vga plus the tv jack takes up little board real estate compared to a vga connector.

Im not taking any credit for the TV object Im not the best when it comes to code never have I have gotten worse since I finished school. All the software is public as will any thing I come up with and giving credit when its due as well.

You have to love having 8 32-bit processors under own little hood. The way I figured it out is tv takes one, mouse takes one, keyboard takes one, the software of the inverse kinetics takes one, and one for the servo contol. Now that 5 used up but if the mouse or keyboard is not detected it should free up a cog or two. That leaves about 4 I am thinking of dedicating 1 or 2 to sensors that should leave at the least1 spare. But this is all up in the air. i need to get crackin.

Paul

Thanks alot for the comments.

It takes alot of time to get some sequences on the controller. I have to finish up that part of the project. Shootin for 2 weeks. But in the mean time Ill throw a ssc-32 on it and come up with some stuff. Hopefully tommorrow night.

Paul

Images

Quantum, you really make a very good looking micro hex! Amazing how you managed to get your design that small! I would really love to see it walk! Your custom build controller looks powerful. It sounds like a lot of work to get the OS on. I would like to see more information on the board and the hex itself! Thanks for sharing!

Xan

Thread Information