Thread: New XL430-W250-T DOES NOT MOVE

1. New XL430-W250-T DOES NOT MOVE

Just bought a XL430-W250-T actuator and i can't make it move. It responds to REBOOT and FACTORY RESET instructions but it doesn't move at all.
    Anyone have a clue of what can be happening?
    I'm just passing the packets data using a general usb to serial converter.

Re: New XL430-W250-T DOES NOT MOVE

Can you read back the position? (I forget whether the W250 has cycloidal gears or can be back-driven to change position manually?)

Are you turning on the torque enable register before giving the movement command?

4. Re: New XL430-W250-T DOES NOT MOVE

I was not setting torque enable register and that was the issue. Dynamixel moved correctly after that.
    Thank you, jwatte.

But I still don't know why I need to set torque before sending a movement request to the actuator. Sorry but I'm still a complete noob about that and could not find this information on the datasheets.

Glad it is working now.

As I mentioned on the Robotis Forum, that was maybe the third things I suspected. The first is almost always Power.

The second was improper packets, especially since you said that you were just using a USB to Serial converter and did not have RX connected...

The third was the Torque Enable.

http://emanual.robotis.com/docs/en/d...#torque-enable

The purpose of this register is to enable or disable the servo from applying torque (i.e. move at all). And with these newer servos when torque is enabled, it disables writes to registers in the EEPROM region.

The servos need to have torque enabled as a safety and convenience feature.
    When the servos start up, or when a configured error condition is detected, the servos will set the torque enable to off.
    It is then up to the controller software to know what to do to safely bring the controlled system into a known state, and enable torque.

The servo doesn't know what other sensors and safety features may exist in the overall system, so it can't assume that movement is OK until the controller explicity says "everything checks out, you can move now."
    While it may seem somewhat redundant to do this when the system powers on, it's something you really do want when error conditions trigger, and saying that "start-up is just like any other error condition" is a reasonable way to write robust code that knows how to recover.
    (Saying "error conditions are just like start-up" is not as safe, though!)

Thread Information