Thread: R-team feeder: What is this transverse hole?

R-team feeder: What is this transverse hole?

Hope you don't mind me posting a picture of your feeder design here?

I've been looking at it, and it's all quite intricate :-) Quite the attention to detail.

I have two questions:

1) Where do you find elbow fittings with appropriate inner diameter? I can find 6mm or 1/4" ID precision straight tubing in a number of materials, but elbows and U/returns are just not available in those sizes :-( Do you print the all? And carefully clean out any burs...

2) In the picture below (from the feeder driven by the small gear motor) there's a transverse hole, straight through the magazine assembly. It seems maybe intended for some kind of pin? What's the use of this hole? My guess would be that, if you press a pin in there, it will capture the BBs more into the feed tube rather than "popping up" if there's a blockage?

Re: R-team feeder: What is this transverse hole?

1) Where do you find elbow fittings with appropriate inner diameter? I can find 6mm or 1/4" ID precision straight tubing in a number of materials, but elbows and U/returns are just not available in those sizes :-( Do you print the all? And carefully clean out any burs...

I 3D print them all. I've oversized the inner diameters to 7mm. I just then run a rolled up piece of sand paper through them. Haven't had any issues.

Any of the straight pieces, I use 5/16" brass tubing from the local hardware store. The inner diameter of these is also oversized for the BBs, but once again doesn't seem to matter.

Springs (once again from the local hardware store) also work good for routing the BBs from hopper to the gun work well, as they have flex in them for elevation changes. Some of R-Team also uses spiral tubing to route BBs longer distances if need, but these do occasionally jam.

2) In the picture below (from the feeder driven by the small gear motor) there's a transverse hole, straight through the magazine assembly. It seems maybe intended for some kind of pin? What's the use of this hole? My guess would be that, if you press a pin in there, it will capture the BBs more into the feed tube rather than "popping up" if there's a blockage?

I feed piper cleaner through there. It helps keep BBs from jamming. If two BBs try to feed through at the same time, it gives it a soft surface to brush the top BB away with and not a hard surface to jam against.

I also have an anti-jam mode in my controller where I wiggle the wheel back and forth quickly to help settle the BBs.. but this design has been reliable enough, I've found I don't really need it.

Images

I kind of assumed that hole was to poke a stick thru in case it got jammed... I took it out, I haven't had it get jammed yet but I've only fired maybe 200 rounds with my version of your design. I also implemented the back up feature, although it barely moves in my case.

still leaves the question of where to find elbow fittings for 1/4" inner diameter pipe :-)

Images

It sounds like at most locations, same aisle as the elbow grease. :-D

Green Sand casting for fun and profit!

Thread Information